175HP Merc V6 Alarm

Recently picked up a Crusie craft bowrider with a 175Hp Merc V6 1997 model with about 400hrs.

Have had no issues with engine at all starts up first go every time and goes like a rocket but yesterday an alarm started sounding (highpitched and constant) after wakeboarding for a few hours.

Oil tank was 50% and tell tale working fine but alarm would cut in and out when moving along.

Any have any ideas on what it might be?

Cheers

Date Joined: 24/02/11

Oil

Sun, 2012-01-22 15:31

If it's a 2 stroke it will the oil warning sensor there bad on mercs to test disconnect the two wires coming from oil tank if it stops you will know have both mine disconnected on this set of merc and the last set was told buy outboard mechanic it's from not using quicksilver oil

Date Joined: 29/08/11

over heating could be

Sun, 2012-01-22 23:21

over heating could be another problem... 

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Yeah i had an allarm on one

Mon, 2012-01-23 08:31

Yeah i had an allarm on one of my 150 V6 mercs (does yours have a light console on the dash?) mine was showing low oil on the light, but there was heaps in the main reservoir, and also in the small reservoir on the side of the engine.

In the end it was just the sensor in the small reservoir on the side of the engine that was faulty. Said that the oil was low when it wasnt. You cant buy that sensor seperately, so replacing that oil bottle fixed it.

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

Date Joined: 30/10/10

Checked it last night and

Tue, 2012-01-24 13:13

Checked it last night and was the sensor in the small oil tank.

Cheers fellas.

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

No worries mate - glad you

Wed, 2012-01-25 09:12

No worries mate - glad you had a win with it!

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you.