588 Interference..?

Guys

Got an issue with my newly installed 588 with an in hull SS164/20 low profile 1 KW transducer.  Been working through it with Rhyss at Taylors-legend...just putting it out there to see if anyone has had something similar and can shed some light to help speed my recovery..

HF- awesome, zero issues, works great

LF- as per photo..pic was only in 100 m but doesn't matter if 150-500 M..reads bottom great, just not fish as interference is there unless gain is on 1. Im up with all settings etc, so on top of all those- more hoping someone has had the  same issue.  Tried all different things,  this weekend plan to run an independant power lead to its own battery up the front.  To  help,  I have tried .....its not a boat near by with same frequency., turning off all devices/motor,  not a faulty transducer as btm reads great - not broken as it would if faulty. etc. etc....the only thing i can think of is i do run a solar panel..anyone have any issues with one ??   If seperate power doesnt  fix it this weekend, im up for any suggestions or thoughts

thanks

Image Upload: 

wangler's picture

Date Joined: 26/04/08

You running a

Wed, 2019-05-22 16:56

Suzuki 4 stroke ?

Want to make someone mad... tell a lie! Want to get the world upset... tell the TRUTH !

Dougie

Taffy's picture

Date Joined: 04/11/10

Ferrite Chokes May Fix

Wed, 2019-05-22 18:43

Ferrite Chokes may fix the issues, Google them Ferrite Chokes on echo sounder , try and find clamp style/Hinged ones found at Jaycar and most good electronic shops

Stick one at the transcucer and one at the head unit on the Power cable,

try and wrap as many turns of cable as you can, to fit around the Ferrite, then close it up ,do the same at the Transducer as close to the transducer as you can

Date Joined: 19/02/09

Run the unit off an

Wed, 2019-05-22 22:41

Run the unit off an independant battery to see if it is power and also reroute the transducer cable to the other side of the boat to the main wiring loom. I think i had a Navman do something similar years ago that made interferance from the main harness to the transducer cable by lying next to it. I am sure the manuals recomend it somewhere. I also run solar into my current system and dont get any interferance. to illiminate the solar as an issue unplug the panel from the regulator to see if that stops it. Dont unplug the batteries from the regulator as the reg needs to see voltage to understand what to do, otherwise you will get magic smoke come out of it. Once the solar is disconnected from the reg then it is safe to disconnect the reg from the batteries cos there is a slim chance it could also be the source of the noise. The chokes are worth a shot if you cant find the source but eliminate the source as you may find it creates noise on other equipment. I run my sounders off my house batteries to eliminate votage drop when starting my Yamaha. its a black art chasing things like this but be persistant as you will find it

Regards

Scott

Date Joined: 19/02/09

Just realised your running

Wed, 2019-05-22 22:45

Just realised your running at 14.5 v which might be pretty high for the Furuno but the boys at Taylors will know. Solar must be on to get it that high.  

Scott

Date Joined: 09/10/06

My 585 runs 14.5 when engine

Thu, 2019-05-23 07:36

My 585 runs 14.5 when engine is running and has no problem.  

Date Joined: 01/02/10

Won’t hurt them. They are

Thu, 2019-05-23 07:45

Won’t hurt them. They are 12-24v. Far more sensitive to under voltage. 

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Date Joined: 28/01/14

Thanks Guys always great to

Thu, 2019-05-23 06:51

Thanks Guys

always great to hear other stories and possible solutuions

Wangler- yes new 200 hp Suz 4 cycl...? i did turn off motor etc. while in LF and had zero change.

Taffy- got zero idea what you talking about, but i'll sure be googgling it to find out more.

Scott- yep, going to try the seperate battery this weekend...doing the transducer cable not so easy...

Moylees-7m centre cab, so builder  bulit a sealed channel under the floor down one side to run everything...will need to look at this option if i have to if the seperate battery doesn't fix it..i'm thinking trying the seperate battery will also eliminate the solar if this is an issue.

yep, i am persisitent as like to fish the shelf...so if i can't be finding fish out deep...making me grumpy..haha.  trying to do the sensible thing and try one thing at a time,,,might take a few trips, but im sure we will get there.  Rhyss has been awesome helping out and still helping me too.

ill report next week

Date Joined: 09/10/06

I also get alot of clutter

Thu, 2019-05-23 07:38

I also get alot of clutter on LF but nothing like that. Have you tried to offset the gain. You can + or - 10 the gain in settings. 

tried all the gain stuff and

Thu, 2019-05-23 07:59

tried all the gain stuff and guff...we have isolated to it been 100 % interference...just got to find the prob by process of elimination

have had a 588 before so runnig all my same settings etc...all sweet in that dept.  just had this boat built, so just getting through all the little teething probs

paul d's picture

Date Joined: 16/03/13

I'd be trying  a different

Thu, 2019-05-23 09:03

I'd be trying  a different head unit to see if the same happens . I'd ask Reece if he could lend a display unit to try.

dmck's picture

Date Joined: 07/03/19

and a different...

Thu, 2019-05-23 12:02

and a different transducer, doesnt have to be mounted, just loose over the side.

wangler's picture

Date Joined: 26/04/08

Are you running

Fri, 2019-05-24 13:48

a separate cable from the battery 2? or is it wired to the battery feed at the dash?

Want to make someone mad... tell a lie! Want to get the world upset... tell the TRUTH !

Dougie

Well, updated after

Mon, 2019-05-27 09:06

Well, updated after yesterdays venture to the shelf- IT IS FIXED

So, thought to put it down here in case others search for the same issue late ron

Was 100 % what we thought, i ran my power lead direct to another battery up the front for sun's fishing and fixed it 100%.  just need to fluff around now and run another power lead direct from the batteries to the front for the sounder only.  felt good to be actually sounding for fish in the 400's again and actually seeing fish!!, not interferance

cheers all for the feedback