abrolhos trip 2012

after 6 months of planning and anticipation it was finally time to head to gero and out to the abrolhos islands. we arrived there thursday night to head out with saltwater charters the decision was made to steam off in the morning when the wind was a bit more decent so thursday night was filled with a lot of drinking and antics with craigo and ryan on the boat in the marina.

the next morning we steamed off early and it seemed the night before had taken its toll as there were many sick fisherman on board including myself! we dropped the lures out the back for a troll with no success so pulled in the spread and headed to the first spot. we were all so excited to see what this place had in store for us and on the first drop and it definately didnt dissapoint. myself and jc85 had a double hook up of coral trout which was a new species for both us so were pretty happy to say the least. after that it was chaos for the rest of the day catching fish after fish until the late afternoon on bait(yuk) soft plastic and jigs. we bagged out no worries and retired to a bbq of fresh fish and more beers. out went the shark rig with a coral trout head on a floater balloon and it didnt take long to pay off after a nice fight matt020 pulled in what we all expected to be a shark but turned out to be a nice cobia once surfaced.smiles all around was a good end to a first  day.

early start again the next day to steam out to a spot where the pinkies and baldies were eating everything we dropped in front of their face. i used soft plastic today for a change from my usual jigging. the outfit i was using for placcys was a jigwrex pe3 rod and stradic ci4 4000 with 15 pound line i was a bit worried about being undergunned but managed to land some nice fish including a nice trout and abig sambo near the 20kg mark which a was wrapped with and definately was my fish of the trip or was it? after some dramas withe the boat we ended up at anchor where we caught baldy after baldy for about 3 hours. i was up front casting wax wings at some birds when matt offered to get me a beer and handed me his rod. i casted the wax wing and decided i would let it sink for a bit before winding this time and it definately paid off as i hooked my pb coral trout and the biggest of the trip (photo underneath).

all in all we had an awesome trip and will definately return next year the the beautiful abrolhos islands. we would all like to thank and recommend saltwater charter for any trips to the abrolhos islands craigo and ryan did a great job of showing us this crazy place and fed us like kings for our stay there thanks guys.

here are a few photos from the trip

cheers sammy

Plumber and gas fitter- 0415489103

Image Upload: 

scottland's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/10

awesome

Sun, 2012-06-24 09:39

hanging to try get out next year awesome work sammy

i support two teams eagles and whoever is playing the dockers

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

congrats on a fantastic

Sun, 2012-06-24 10:32

congrats on a fantastic trip

fish of the trip goes to that fine mullet though.   what a specimen!

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

Date Joined: 12/03/10

Not much beer

Sun, 2012-06-24 10:34

Not enough beer

sammy85's picture

Date Joined: 31/08/10

Haha yea that's my brother

Sun, 2012-06-24 11:04

Haha yea that's my brother he has been at that mullet for 4 years now

Plumber and gas fitter- 0415489103

Date Joined: 03/05/06

nice report

Sun, 2012-06-24 12:15

top quality fish there.  nice report.

cudbfishn's picture

Date Joined: 06/04/09

Great report. jealous

Sun, 2012-06-24 16:48

Great report. jealous

chrisp's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/08

Some good Fish there mate.God

Sun, 2012-06-24 18:49

Some good Fish there mate.God i love that place.Next trip ill be spending more time casting for some surface action for sure!