A cautionary tale about ebay cryovacs from 4926martin.

Hiyas,

my folks bought me a vacpacker off ebay for xmas, and the guy had ok feedback, and other people had used the same one with ok results.

The unit looks fine, and seemed to ONLY seal bags in a half-decent fashion when I leaned on the unit. When it came around to sealing packed bags though, it never really seemed to really suck the bags empty, and the sealer never really wanted to kick in.

I contacted the seller about it (4926martin) and they said maybe the seals got compressed while it was boxed, so I left it open for awhile to see if that helped, but it didn't. Next I was told to make sure I didn't get moisture in it. This was a little annoying as I had used a vacpacker before and I was sealing frozen, as in completely dry, fillets.

I eventually mail the unit back to them and they won't respond to contacts about where my refund is, although they have confirmed that they have the unit.

Since then Dave aka Xtreme Coolers has dropped his price on the everpack matic, and I have see it working. It packed our haul with Harro non-stop and that was a lot of fish.

I will buy myself one when I rustle up the $$$ and I would recommend you do too. Basically the ebay one is a lottery that may be just ok if you get one that works, it will never work as well as the everpack matic, but the down side is that if you get a dud one like mine, then you can kiss ALL your money good bye.

Date Joined: 07/03/10

buy it now??

Tue, 2012-02-28 22:09

was it a "buy it now" purchase or an auction purchase?

better chance of receiving a refund if buy it now. are they an australian seller?

maybe quote the trade practices act to them and you will see your money.  has worked for me in the past.

Perry Home's picture

Date Joined: 07/10/10

Refer it to Paypal

Tue, 2012-02-28 23:53

If you purchased it using paypal follow through the steps of a dispute - basically ebay/paypal will get in contact with them & give them the 'hurry up' - make sure you fill out the explanation of all the things you have done to try & solve the situ. without getting them involved. If the seller doesn't refund you then if paid by paypal they will efund up to a certain number of $ s for you- bit of mucking around but at least you get something in return for the item + pain&grief chsing it up. Hope this is useful for you.

Date Joined: 22/07/10

till seems they sucked

Wed, 2012-02-29 08:01

till seems they sucked your bags empty ............ good ol' ebay. :( 

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Another FW member has sent me

Wed, 2012-02-29 08:05

Another FW member has sent me a message to say that they had a similar experience. The unit didn't work, no support offered, and that they gave up, and bought another unit.

@PerthGlory: Yes, it was buy it now, and the seller was Australian. I have sent them a message saying that I may need to refer them to the NSW Dept of Fair Trading and have the paperwork sitting on my desk.

@Perry Home: It was purchased via paypal, but they won't help as it has been longer than 45 days since purchase.

Pete D's picture

Date Joined: 07/06/07

Lesson Learnt

Wed, 2012-02-29 08:42

Yep, do not touch (4926martin) sealers.  Bought, didn't work, returned (I paid postage), no contact since.  Over 45 days, so again don't expect anything.  So much for being civil.  I didn't know about this 45 day cut off.  Hopefully, karma will catch up with this person.

Cheers Pete

Feral's picture

Date Joined: 01/11/06

Typical eBay crap .. either

Wed, 2012-02-29 09:24

Typical eBay crap .. either buy one off Xtreme coolers or the sunbeam vac .. I've got 2 of the sunbeam ones and they are great as well

Lamby's picture

Date Joined: 04/08/09

Ahh bugger Jamie, I got the

Wed, 2012-02-29 09:50

Ahh bugger Jamie, I got the sunbeam one which is ace & also one of Dave's which is even better again!

Date Joined: 19/10/11

thats why it is best to shop

Wed, 2012-02-29 09:57

thats why it is best to shop in your local area, if u have a prob you can take it back,  i also got one from dave and it is killa, does everythink plus more and never lets me down.

Date Joined: 09/08/09

Pity about the 45days rule.

Wed, 2012-02-29 10:27

Pity about the 45days rule. Otherwise you would get your money back from PayPal. At least report the guy to ebay, just jump on the online chat and do it there.

They won't do anything, they

Wed, 2012-02-29 10:33

They won't do anything, they really don't care once the 45 days have passed. They let me know on chat!

Date Joined: 27/12/06

paypal=crap

Wed, 2012-02-29 12:24

I had some stuff that didn't and still hasn't turned up paypal wont help at all even though I purchased through them.

In saying that I have purchased hundreds of items on ebay and that was the only issue I have had, better luck next time till.

the decent ebay stores thrive on reputation so usually are great to deal with

Date Joined: 20/04/09

Dave

Wed, 2012-02-29 17:53

I got one of extreme Dave, had it for about a year now. EXTREMEly happy with it- once Dave showed me how to use it properly.

Oracle's picture

Date Joined: 22/11/10

and for all the "local shop is too expensive" bashers

Wed, 2012-02-29 18:15

buy, buy, buy on the internet. So much cheaper. Why go to someone who has a local store and pays rent and can't just tell you to get stuffed.

Not to start the argument again but here it is.....

Just an update on this. I

Fri, 2012-04-20 08:07

Just an update on this.

I worked out that 4926martin is Martin Dixon and NSW Dept of Fair Trade have attempted to contract him a few times.

The first time they left a message with his mommy. The next time they rang back, he mommy said that he wasn't available, and that there was no issue. The time after that his mommy claimed that he had never recieved the unit back, but that was pretty stupid when I have emails from him confirming that he had received the goods.

Ok, a follow up. It took the

Wed, 2012-08-08 07:22

Ok, a follow up.

It took the NSW Dept of Fair Trade and another $40 to get my refund off them.

Date Joined: 05/05/06

Good on ya for seeing it

Thu, 2012-08-09 00:03

Good on ya for seeing it thru. 

Bend over

Buz's picture

Date Joined: 28/08/07

Good on ya Jamie. I had a

Thu, 2012-08-09 09:53

Good on ya Jamie. I had a similar incident a few years ago with a faulty camera that i then found out was a 'Grey Import'. Yet i actaully bought it from an actual camera store in Melbourne!

Ended up going through VCAT and 6 months and two hearings later was awarded full refund of item and hearing costs.

Thats what alot of these business i think hope for that you wont be bother fighting for it, or to drag it out as long as possible that you dont care anymore.

Yeah I only did it to make

Thu, 2012-08-09 12:16

Yeah I only did it to make sure Fair Trading were aware of just one more time the guy had done the wrong thing.