Coral Bay 2022

Well, just back from the annual trek to CB...what to say about 2022-well here goes the summary !!!

Left home 5am for the 2 day, 19 hr trek to CB on the boys only trip..absolute no dramas other than the price of fuel..ouch...forecast looking sketchy with pending 'possible'cyclone..but not worried as usually bettert than they say...

New Furuno 295 with 2KW transducers only went in 2 weeks prior...couldn't wait to test it out.

Day 1- arrive mid pm, unpack into the house, straight to pub for well earnt coldies....work on my standard plan of going both nth and sth in the first 2 days to see where the fish are at..and shallow or deep. listen to the people at the cleaning station with a keen ear for any info that can help...using some common sense and experience you can work out a lot form the cleaning station and what fish are being cleaned....good ideas in my head to help with the plan for the first few days

Day 2- weather shmick ..headed North to try the normal red ground..fishing slow, but managed 6 good reds, 6 x XL spangos and a few others to make up the bag- good start..

Day 3- weather good form 10am onwards.... head South..fishing slowish in the 70-80m marks, head out to the 100's and it picks up..good bag of reds/goldband and usual suspects of robbos/spangos/rankins etc

Day 4 and 5- wet, wet, wet.......rum, rum, rum- no more to say

day 6- weather absolute hollywood so head out to South indonesia to hit up the Rubies.....sounder looks normal- BUT can't beleive it...not a single bite...bit of sounding around and we rustle up a fish/drift on some new ground. Then heading in found some new ground in 170m..looks ok so we drop and its on..fish every drop for all 3 fishos...work through some fish to keep the better ones and off we go happy and content

Day 7- weather looks awesome for day 8/9 so have a crusiy day doing some snorkling/sightseeing for the crew that hadn't been before....cpl more crew driving 13 hrs straight to fish hard for 2 days, then drive home-they roll in 1130pm...

Day 8- full boat of fishos, i decide to hit up my fav  never miss''  Goldband spots 55 kms sth...lets just say after hitting 4 of my 'never miss' spots...we had doughnuts on board and 5 pretty downhearted fishos....hit spot 5 and we see some fish and the right colours too-plus some unexpected reds from 120m...not a great day as we head in i thought, then decided to hit some old shallow spots i haven't been to for years and we rustled up some nice fish to end up with an ok day

Day 9- head back Nth to try and get some better fish for the boys who travelled up. Fish where on the chew early and a cpl of trophy reds boated along with a great bag of reds, robbos, spangos, trout etc...ended up a great day for all

Day 10 and 11- lazy days cleaning the boat/gear and  pub lunches...noice !!!

Day 12 and 13- pretty much the same for the last 2 days of fishing...headed out to fish the 150-200m marks for a mixed bag and the fish where super hungry..nice mix of top quality fish and done nice and early both days...i like that !!!

Day 14- pub lunch, tidy and pack up...ready for the 2 day return home.

To address some questions that  I know will come, here goes....Sharks...i touched on this in last years summary...if people are fishing marks they have been given, strong chance its been fished a bit..once again we caught a lot of our fish on newly found ground. a lot of the time we seemed to get fish on the 1st drop on new country, then nothing.. i took this on board so for the last 4-5 days fishing we only did one drop on any mark and it proved true...hence we where not wasting time needlessly...this would be my best year for sharks in the last 4-5 years...maybe only losing 1-2 fish/day....my advice is the same as last year- if u get sharked-  MOVE, don't have 'just 1 more drop'....still the same story at the cleaning station of people whinging about getting sharked on the same spot as yesterday etc...tut tut..

Highlights-

Reds where really good sized with a few trophy sized ones...as normal the best red [ has to be 8kg plus]  of the trip makes the angler 'the King'  for the trip  and until he is dismantled he doesnt need to get his wallet out at the pub untill he is knocked off....this wasn't good for me and the other crew when The King was knighted on day 2..then on day 9 I dethroned him - then late on day 9 he decided to trump me again !!!!! just  to make sure he didn't need to pay a cent....what an arsehole !!! [ just jealous ] 

More Good coronation trout than i have ever seen before

Spanish Mack on a bottom meat jig half way up on light gear...entertaining

Red Emp wings for tea pretty much every night..yummo

New Furuno 295 was AWESOME....picking up fish shows in 170 m at 45km's / hr..i like that !!!  Can't say enough thanks to 'person A'  for basically setting it up. 30 years of experince i couldn't possibly emulate..which was handy as it was like i had been tweaking it for 30 trips on day 1 !!!

Lowlight- boat getting drained of 200 l of fuel on the very wet night..at $2.50/l it hurts..ouch

I hate to say but Covid still lurks there with staff issues etc..The bakery/pubs etc still just aren't like they used to- probably i need to move forward as they are not likely to get back to those hights for  years...

3 x rods had to got to the graveyard...not ideal, but accidents happen.

Overall this was one of the best trips as weather was great, compnay even better, the fishing was challenging but with experience and knowledge we still got top qualitity fillets for days...

Still love the Bay and can't wait till next year..already counting down

Hope you all can get amongst it and live life to the fullest- FISH ON !!!!!!!

Image Upload: 

rob90's picture

Date Joined: 06/02/13

Wow! Sound like an epic

Mon, 2022-04-11 15:49

Wow! Sound like an epic trip, cheers for taking to time to rite up a great report

Hi my name is rob............. and I'm a........... fishaholic

Date Joined: 26/03/17

awesome trip!when you say the

Mon, 2022-04-11 17:25

awesome trip!

when you say the boat got drained of 200l...do u mean someone flogged it? thats rough!

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Excellent

Mon, 2022-04-11 19:39

Nice work and nice report. 

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Curndog's picture

Date Joined: 21/11/16

Quality write up and only

Mon, 2022-04-11 20:07

Quality write up and only makes me more dirty I didn't get accom for this year... all good tho booked for 2023! Hopefully it calms down a bit up there and ppl start pissing off to Bali again

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Epic report! Gets the juices

Mon, 2022-04-11 20:30

Epic report! Gets the juices flowing. 

Love the West!

Daryn's picture

Date Joined: 01/05/12

Stole your fuel? F me - so

Mon, 2022-04-11 20:54

Stole your fuel? F me - so fill up in the morning from now on? PIA!

backlash's picture

Date Joined: 12/10/10

Great write up!

Tue, 2022-04-12 08:58

Thanks Rowan,

great write up and share of the lessons learned up there with the taxman.

we're heading up in July. Hopefully we get some good days and results as well 

Daniel Westerduin's picture

Date Joined: 30/10/06

Ripper fishing and report,

Tue, 2022-04-12 09:03

Ripper fishing and report, losing that fuel is pretty Shiite aye. Would love to catch them in the act.

Date Joined: 28/01/14

Yes- Fuel was stloen from

Tue, 2022-04-12 09:45

Yes- Fuel was stloen from the boat right outside our house. Was done the night it rained cats and dogs....smart as...

we always fill up on the way to the ramp in case this ever happened-but when ur expecting 100 L and the bowser ticks over to 205 L....the pocket hurts :(

davewillo's picture

Date Joined: 08/09/16

Great report and some

Tue, 2022-04-12 11:09

Great report and some cracker fish there mate!

PGFC member and lure tragic

Bradmac73's picture

Date Joined: 22/03/17

Great report

Tue, 2022-04-12 12:37

Sounds like an amazing 2 weeks with some awesome fishing and good times with mates.  Great write up. 

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

Well done. Sounds like you

Wed, 2022-04-13 05:39

Well done. Sounds like you had a fantastic time . Despite the low life . Always good to get away to recharge the batteries from the usual day to day mundane stuff. 

Heading there in a month and hopefully we will have some good weather like you did

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together