exmouth trip Oct 2012

Newbie on the site travelling to Exmouth Oct 12 ,seeking advice on Rod n Reel to take to Exmouth land based fishing ,poss Marina n beach for Queenies,Mangrove Jack any advice on What size Rod n Reel to get,cant go to Expensive but any advice would be good,am taking the Camper trailer behind my Sportage,taking 2 days to get there,stopping at Murchisson river 1 nite n 1 nite North of Carnarvon,sole traveller so taking my time,any advice n experience would be appreciated,normally a Swan n Kalgan rivewr Brim hunter so a big change

Brimhunter

Date Joined: 06/05/12

I would suggest a 8 foot

Wed, 2012-08-15 23:47

I would suggest a 8 foot light weight carbon rod with a good quality spinning reel, most brands with at least 3 ball bearings will do the job, try to spend $150+, spool with 20lb braid and you catch heaps of fish !!! good luck

Liquidtension's picture

Date Joined: 05/03/08

i went on a landbased trip

Thu, 2012-08-16 09:05

i went on a landbased trip earlier this year in may! apart from my fly rods I took 1 spin rod.. which was a 7foot 6-8kg nitro with a stella 4000fd spooled with 250m of 20lb nitlon braid.. I caught shit loads with it.. nice couple of jacks, queenies, a nice golden even a few smaller GTs..

my rec would be (from my personal experience)

7foot Spin rod between 6-8kg

4000 size shimano or 3000 size daiwa spin reel!

20lb braid

40lb flurocarbon leader

Cheers Steve

liquidtensionJP@gmail.com

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Cant offer rod advice but if

Thu, 2012-08-16 09:31

Cant offer rod advice but if your cruisin up at a leisurely pace then instead of stopping at Murchison River why not leave the Highway at Northampton and stop somewhere along the road to Kalbarri instead?

Multitude of spots to pull up near or on the beach and camp especially between Horrocks and Lucky Bay.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Dan's picture

Date Joined: 23/02/06

take your bream gear too

Thu, 2012-08-16 12:23

In addition to a 6-8Kg/4000 reel combo, don't forget your brem gear - lots of fun when the west side is blown out - hit the gulf (Bundegi, pebble beach, Heron Point) for fun on small GT's, queenies (some big ones), jacks, goldens etc.

Light gear also fun on the west side down at sandy places like Pilgramunna - great fun chasing Dart - maybe some bonefish - it's surprising what you can land on light gear

brimhunter's picture

Date Joined: 14/08/12

re Exmouth trip

Thu, 2012-08-16 13:14

Thanx for the replies ppls,have just got an okuma 7ft rod n a new reel with 20lb mono .also taking baitcaster rig,dood idea for Brim gear will take that also,also good thought on stopping kalbarri or points in-between .i really appreciate the info and advice,if anyone travelling at that time let me know maybe we can hook up somewhere perth to exmouth, I really need the break,if anyone travelling to Exmouth or that way Oct 12th 2012 let me know,im leaving Rockingham area approx 4am to 5pm that morning going up freeway then IOD good to have company,I have a Blue KIA sportage will be towing Galvanised Camper trailer,hope to see someone on the road,by the way without advertising i have a Company name on the car, car is a nice blue so hope to meet someone on the road and please keep the replies coming.

Many thanx

BRIMHUNTER

Colesy's picture

Date Joined: 14/04/10

Re exxy in october

Sun, 2012-08-19 09:14

I believe the southerly can blow that time of year, might be worth having a fish up at the mildura wreck. Can get some stonkers out that area and the wild will be at your back with some shelter from the dunes.
Regards Colesy