Furuno 628 Bottom Lock Question

Question for Furuno users.  Just installed Furuno 628 with Airmar P66 transducer.  I want to be able to shift the Bottom Lock and change the range.  At present, it only shows me above the bottom.  I want to determine hardness below the bottom and see flare ups.  For example, when moving from sand to reef, or when travelling over flat ground to be able to pick up bits of coral.  Sample pic provided so you can see what i mean. Makes it easier to see the change in echo strength (weak to strong).  Ideally, I like to be able to see the first 2 fathoms above and 10 fathoms below.

Can this be done on the 628?  

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 28/05/15

I am trying to find out this

Mon, 2016-11-28 12:55

I am trying to find out this exact same thing.

Date Joined: 09/12/15

I was going oout ask the

Mon, 2016-11-28 13:39

I was going oout ask the same thing 

Date Joined: 14/05/13

Have discussed with Taylors at boat show recently

Mon, 2016-11-28 14:50

I discussed this with the guys from Taylor Marine (Furuno experts) for my 587 and it is not possible. The guy told me I shouldn't have bought the cheap model - bloody $2.5k. I asked if they could do a software patch but not interested. I think for Furuno it is the 1150 or above that has the function we need - called 'bottom discrimination' but not the same as 'bottom discrimination' in the 587/588 (which just does the bullsh** rock,sand,gravel rubbish). Not 100% but this is what I understand. Taylor's said the best we can get is 'marker zoom' but I haven't played with that yet. Hopefully someone does have a fix because I will be interested as well.

Date Joined: 07/12/15

Bugger

Mon, 2016-11-28 15:45

Bugger.  Had assumed it may be the case because I couldn't find a thing on it anywhere.  Furuno seem to have put so much focus on fish echoes and finding fish in the water column that they're neglecting ability to be able to identify the type of ground you're on and therefore the type of fish you're likely to catch. 

You're correct re: more expensive models.  I had a 1100 (now 1150) on the cray boat and could adjust the bottom lock. Don't understand why they couldn't put this on the 628/588. I'm sure it is purely software which could be easily updated.  

I'll be giving the "Bottom Zoom" and "Marker Zoom" a crack.  Don't really like either.

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Lol yep that's the 5 grand

Mon, 2016-11-28 15:09

Lol yep that's the 5 grand more unit. I always wondered about this too, would be an awesome tool to have. But they are still awesome units.

Love the West!

Scotte's picture

Date Joined: 07/12/06

You can run your right hand

Mon, 2016-11-28 16:29

You can run your right hand screen at a close range  of 5,10 or 15m and shift bottom  to suit. Or go full screen and do the same.

Date Joined: 07/12/15

You're Correct

Mon, 2016-11-28 17:06

Good suggestion.  I'll try that.  I'll also think the Bottom Zoom allows you to do this in the left hand screen, whilst maintaining a bigger range on the right screen.

Either way, it's a pretty big drawback to this sounder for me and how i fish and find ground.  Heck, even the old Navman i ripped off had that feature!