Furuno FCV-587 Fishfinder Review

An unbaised review by Marine Electronics Reviews

http://www.marine-electronics-reviews.com/furuno-fcv587.html

Furuno as received the NMEA Award for BEST FISH FINDER for 42 consecutive years!

Follow us on Face Book: www.facebook.com/FurunoFishingFanatics

Please note that as a sponsor of Fishwrecked, Furuno Australia cannot monitor posts made by members across all threads. As much as we support and encourage discussions about our products on social media it is not recognised as an official means of company correspondence. For any questions relating to Furuno equipment please contact our official distributor in WA, Taylor Marine. All contact details can be found at: www.taylormarine.com.au or via our official JN Taylor & Co. Pty Ltd website: www.jntaylor.com.au

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

I am pretty happy with mine,

Fri, 2013-05-24 22:34

I am pretty happy with mine, would strongly recommend.

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

harro's picture

Date Joined: 07/02/08

foruno question

Sat, 2013-05-25 13:11

mate, the foruno advertises the 587 as being 8,16 or 64 colors display, but where is the setting to adjust this? I have searched everywhere

:::: Bass Hunter ::::

JohnF's picture

Yep, me 2......

Sat, 2013-05-25 13:58

Yep, me 2......

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

Yep me 3....

Sat, 2013-05-25 16:32

Yep me 3....

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls

Furuno Australia's picture

Date Joined: 01/03/13

Guys, please give us a hand

Sat, 2013-05-25 17:33

Guys, please give us a hand here. I've looked at the recent brochures and ops manual and cannot find where Furuno advertises the FCV-587 with 6/16/64 colours. I may have missed it so please let me know. Some of the older models were advertised that way and it simply means the colour palette when selecting the DISPLAY COLOUR:

From page (SP-1) of Ops Manual:

2.12 Display color Echo color: 64 colors according to echo intensity: Palette: white, blue, black, monochrome or night vision

If you're referring to COLOUR ERASE it is accomplished by selecting the SOUNDER menu and COLOUR ERASE. 50% of the colours can be erased. Starting with the weakest colours in 1% steps.

When in full sounder operation mode you will see a colour bar on the left side of the screen. This will show you at a glance what colours are available.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Furuno Australia

Furuno as received the NMEA Award for BEST FISH FINDER for 42 consecutive years!

Please note that as a sponsor of Fishwrecked, Furuno Australia cannot monitor posts made by members across all threads. As much as we support and encourage discussions about our products on social media it is not recognised as an official means of company correspondence. For any questions relating to Furuno equipment please contact our official distributor in WA, Taylor Marine. All contact details can be found at: www.taylormarine.com.au or via our official JN Taylor & Co. Pty Ltd website: www.jntaylor.com.au

harro's picture

nah mate thats not it,

Sun, 2013-05-26 20:19

quote :

NEW Furuno FCV-587 8.4" Color Fishfinder Fish Finder 50/200kHz FCV587 Free ... The FCV587 displays underwater conditions in 8, 16 or 64 colors on a ... changes are made for new echoes only when a change in the gain setting is applied

the 585 has the setting and also has color erase in %

the 585 also is opposite in colour , it seems now the 587 erases blue as week, ?

all good i was trying to help out a good friend,

Harro, please let me know the

Mon, 2013-05-27 16:39

Harro, please let me know the link where you have found the FCV-587 advertised as having 8/16/64 colour options because it's incorrect. You can PM the link if you like. The FCV-585 had the 8/16/64 option but it's not available on the 587. The 8/16/64 is not available on all models and it simply means it is the amount of different shades of a paticular colour that the displayt can be set to (RED/ORANGE/GREEN/BLUE) to indicate signal stregnth.

Weakest echos = BLUE

Weak echos = GREEN

Stong echos = ORANGE

Strongest echos = RED

Basically the 64 setting will give you 16 shades of each colour, 16 setting will give 4 shades and 8 setting will give 2 shades of each colour.

All the Furuno sounders show BLUE as the weakest signal so using the ERASE COLOUR feature for erasing weakest signals will remove light blue first and move up through the colour spectrum to a maximum of 50% colour erase and that's roughly the start of the YELLOW colour.

I hope this helps.

Furuno Australia

harro's picture

thanks foruno

Tue, 2013-05-28 18:47

yeah mate its on any google search requesting this info,

we found deep the blue was the strongest echoes and has been proven,

this was taken with 16 colors, this identified the cod clearly

this was 16 , showing mainly snapper and nannies

all good i am just trying to figure out why foruno changed this, all good and thank you for the feedback,

Hi Harro, thanks for the

Tue, 2013-05-28 21:01

Hi Harro, thanks for the pics. I also did the Google search and I think I've pinned it down. The 8/16/64 display settings appears to be an error on the Furuno USA website and that has been replicated by all the online (especially EBay) resellers who simply copy 'n paste their advertising. Unless the USA guys are running different software, which I doubt but I've asked FUSA to check their website details for accuracy. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think we may have our wires crossed in the definition / understanding of "strong" vs. "weak" echos. A strong echo is defined as the the signal which returns the strongest return. This is normally the seabed and that's why the bottom will always be dark reed. A very strong fish echo will also return a red signal. Here's a quick explanation from the FCV-587 ops manual which explains how to set the fish. The alarm is defined by echo strength.

Select the echo strength that triggers
the alarm, referring to the information
below.
[Weak]: Echoes stronger than lightblue
trigger the alarm.
[Medium]: Echoes stronger than yellow
trigger the alarm.
[Strong]: Echoes stronger than red
trigger the alarm.

That FCV-585 of yours is certainly performing well. In your 2nd pic it looks to be picking up your baits or maybe reeling in a fish? The first pic is awesome, 428m and that's a pretty decent target return for such depths. The reason why the cod are not returning a stong red echo is becasue the sounder would be running out of puff at that depth. I'd be keen to know if you set TVG to high?

Nice work mate

cheers

Furuno Australia

harro's picture

foruno

Tue, 2013-05-28 21:29

yes mate tvg set high, we found the tm260 tranny is awesome , however the 200khz dies in a shorter range around 150- on the 1kw setting, but the 50khz is a treat and works alot deeper than the previous tranducer

our gain was only 2.5 , sweeeeet, now our dhuie fishing is 0 to 0.5 max

the color range we found was random, dropping the colors we found cod, adding the colors we could not see them, this sounding pulled 40kg + bass grouper

so there is a massive difference, overall these units are amazing and if the effort and time is put into really understanding them one can fish depths as a commercial sounder,,  i recently skippered a mates boat with a FCV 295 and although never used one had it wired in a few minutes, wow that is a machine,

cant wait to get my new boat,

mate whats the go with the new foruno chirp? are they popular, i have tuned and used a friends sounder with chirp out deep , wasnt a foruno and overall he found it very difficult and has since gone to a 295,

but i have seen foruno doing one is that released yet?

Geez Harro, with your gain

Wed, 2013-05-29 12:38

Geez Harro, with your gain set to only 2.5 you still have plennty opportunity to "dial up" those echos from some pretty impressive depths. Yes, the 295 is a machine of note and hooked up with individual High/Low tdrs it's very impressive.

We launched Furuno's CHIRP sounder module (DFF1-UHD) at Sanctuary Cove last week and the first one in the country is being fitted on a Qld customers boat as we speak. The Furuno CHIRP sounder is a black box sounder module and will only work with Furuno NavNet TZT multi-function plotters running V3 software which was also recently launched. The software enabling it to run on Furuno NavNet 3D MFD's will follow in the next month or two. Our feeling is that it's going to need to be an impressive piece of gear to outperform the FCV-585, 295 and 1150 sounders! As soon as we have some feedback we'll post details but best to follow us on Face Book: https://www.facebook.com/FurunoFishingFanatics

cheers

Furuno Australia

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Makes sense when getting rid

Sat, 2013-05-25 17:51

Makes sense when getting rid of the excess clutter.

Love the West!

JohnF's picture

To be honest, I did not

Sat, 2013-05-25 20:12

To be honest, I did not really try and find out how to chnage the colours or number of, as I was very happy with how it was.....however many colours that is....

great unit. Much better than my garmin backup.

dan south's picture

Date Joined: 02/05/06

Changing colors

Tue, 2013-05-28 21:18

Changing colors makes a big difference once you work it out.

Great pics Harro,deep drop yewww

harro's picture

yeeeew dan

Tue, 2013-05-28 21:26

bro it made a big differnece on ur 295 eh!

back down tomoz ill cal ya