Furuno FCV587 or Koden CVS128

Hey Guys

Looking to possibly upgrade from the HDS to either a Furuno 587 or a Koden 128 - prices look to be pretty much the same so I guess its going to come down to ease of use and performance. From what I can read the performance of both is fairly exceptional for recreational sounders.

The Furuno speaks for itself and has many, many supporters (and with good reason) but I am looking for some real time feed back from Koden users as there does not seem to be that many out there but I am reading some really good stuff about these units. Looking to get across, reliability, display ability, clarity, startup, service backup and just how good are they as a fish finder ? Looking to fish deep so has to be capable of 400 plus with SS264 pair.

I have done a search on the site but comments have been a bit thin really so hoping some actual users out there read this and contribute their thoughts.

cheers

Seaquest's picture

Date Joined: 22/10/09

I have the Koden CVS 128. I

Mon, 2013-06-17 17:58

I have the Koden CVS 128. I personally think its better than the the 585. I have seen heaps of 585s running and though they are a great unit I feel mine is a little easier to read both for distinguishing large fish from bait fish and distinguishing different bottoms. The units have identical features. The Koden does come with a basic navigation feature. If you have it connected to a GPS antenna you can move the curser back to mark lumps etc, then use the navigation page to go back to the spot. It also has a dedicated shift button, where the 585 I'm pretty sure you have to go into the menu first. I have a TM256 transducer with mine (first of the 1kw transom mount tranducers) and have had it out to 500m. Held bottom at this depth pretty well but I think with a TM260 tranducer or the SS264 pair it would be way better. Soon to upgrade. I know everyone will tell you go the 587 but I have been using Kodens for 10+ years and never have any trouble finding fish. Not sure on service backup as the two units I've had haven't missed a beat. I did originally get Ray Petty to set it up. He does a lot of work with Kodens on the commerical side of things. Let me know if your after any more info. Happy to help.

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

The ability of the Kodan to

Mon, 2013-06-17 18:48

The ability of the Kodan to have gps data andsave waypoints on the sounder screen back to the main GPS would be a huge selling point for me assuming it sounds similar to the 587. It is one feature I really miss when going from a raymarine combo to a separate gps and furuno 587.

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.