Johnson Endeavour 35 2000 Overheating

Hi guys,

was hoping somebody could give me an idea on an issue I have had with my Endeavour 35 2000.  It is the 3 cylinder and is one of the orginal VRO models.  The VRO has been disconected so it is being used as a standard 2 stroke.

Yesterday it overheated.  Badly.  After about 10-12 minutes of running it at low speed, the water temp alarm and lights came on.  It took as about 15min of run time at real slow speed to get back to the ramp.  When I got home I pulled out the thermostat and it was destroyed.  The vernatherm was in pieces and the plastic and rubber casing was destroyd.  The outer casing was cracked and the softer rubber parts were melted.  One of the springs has been 'fused' to the rubber diaphram and cup.

My question.  What could have casused this?  Is it as simple as a faulty vernatherm or entire thermostat unit, or is it likely to be more sinister like a water pump?

Thanks so much for your help. 

Date Joined: 09/11/13

Oh, and on a side note, the

Sun, 2016-09-18 08:58

Oh, and on a side note, the engine still seemed to be expelling water quite strongly.  Didn't seem to be any lesser than normal.

sarcasm0's picture

Date Joined: 25/06/09

If it is pumping water

Sun, 2016-09-18 09:03

It shouldnt be the w/pump. I would say the vernatherm/thermo seized shut and it wasnt able to circulate the cooling water. Replace the damaged components and give it a go.

Bryan

Auslobster's picture

Date Joined: 03/05/08

Yep, +1

Sun, 2016-09-18 09:36

Thermo seized, stopped waterflow, and boiled itself to death. Going by what it cost to replace the thermostats on my old 40hp Yammies, maybe $50-70?

Date Joined: 09/11/13

Cheers. It's pretty much

Sun, 2016-09-18 10:31

Cheers. It's pretty much what I figured. The worst part is because there's been some 2 stroke oil leaking out of the exhaust, I replaced the vernatherm myself thinking it wasn't running hot enough to burn  off all the oil. This was the new one. But reading more into it, a heap come out of the factory faulty. Cheers to the guys I bought it from telling me to test it first.....

sarcasm0's picture

Date Joined: 25/06/09

Was it black oil coming out around the prop?

Mon, 2016-09-19 08:47

If so and it has been sitting for a while or doing low speed running it is likely to just be engine sludge - eg unburnt carbon in the leg mixing with unburnt fuel/oil and dribbling down the leg, quite common on two strokes.

Bryan