Kimberley Trip Report April 2014

Hi All

We have just got back from a Kimberley trip, that we decided to go on at last minute.

So the trip was discussed over a drinks a few weeks earlier and the wheels were put in motion.

Last year we completed our first ever trailer boat trip out on northern waters and really enjoyed the experience..

On this trip we left from Derby and done Cone Bay, Strickland Bay, Graveyards and Horizontal Falls before heading back to Derby.

See below link to last years report..

http://fishwrecked.com/forum/full-derby-trip-report-lots-photos

So This year we decided that we would explore all new areas.

The trip was planned out with our launch to start from One Arm Point, which had its own challenge just getting over the 86kms of rough dirt road.. ( Anyone whos has driven that road knows exactly what I am talking about) 

From one arm point (and a wet rainy start) we planned to head across to Silicone beach (Approx 60 Kms) pull up there unload the dingy off the boat and go ashore to stretch the legs. Lovely Spot and best beach in the north hands down..

From there we headed to the famous Croc Creek for the night, The next morning we headed into silvergull creek to say hi to the new people manning the hut.. (Mal & Shelly)

We headed off from silvergull around to Dog Leg Creek to top the boat up with Fuel, we took a total of 150 ltrs of the 200 ltrs ordered on board.. (Cost of $3.50 per Ltr)  But better than not being able to get any at all.. 

Later that afternoon seen us pull up at the Horizontal water falls and spent the night there.. 

From the Horizontal Falls it was all new ground for me, over the next week or so we went to Raft point then went 22kms up the Sale river and spent a couple days there.

From the Sale River we went across to Montgomery Reef and WOW what a place, We had a visit from True North in all its glory, Tenders, Helicopter and people going every which way... 

They were amazed that we were even there in our little tub and every person onboard was taking photos of us as they cruised past.. 

We stayed a night at Montgomery Reef and the next morning the Easterly was blowing, which made the trip back to Dog Leg Creek for the rest of the fuel, very slow and a bit scary at times..

This trip also coicided with our biggest tide of the trip.. (High was 11.4 mtrs and the Low of just 1.2 mtrs in a 6 hr period, so 10.2 mtrs of total movement) Not for the faint hearted..

Over then next couple of days we worked our way back to One Arm Piont and then the big drive home again..

It was an excellent trip with little to no incedents and thourghlly enjoyed by all..

Below are a few pics of the trip.. 

Apologies for the lack of fishing photos, we did catch Jacks, Barra, Threadfin, Fingermark etc but very slack on the photo department.. Most time just forgot to take the camera..

I've spent half my life fishing.. The other half I have wasted.. 

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 18/01/12

Bloody hell Lyndon.Livin the

Tue, 2014-04-22 21:45

Bloody hell Lyndon.

Livin the dream mate! Ive been at sea for the last 4 weeks and we havent moved more than 5 miles!

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

outdoinit's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/12

LOL Rob, now that's slow going..

Tue, 2014-04-22 22:04

in our round trip We done a total of 4440kms via road, 536 kms by boat and approx 150 kms by dingy..

Total cost for every thing including Fuel, food and beverages etc was approx $4200 or $1400 ea.. I think thats not too bad.. Plus money spent here in OZ 

beau's picture

Date Joined: 24/01/10

Love the scenery you captured

Tue, 2014-04-22 22:10

Love the scenery you captured there!

deepwater's picture

Date Joined: 09/05/07

Great looking trip

Wed, 2014-04-23 05:21

Thats one great trip you have done there mate ,some thing 95% would never get a chance to do, thanks for sharing those pic are excellent

jeff

Swompa's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/12

My bucket list has an

Wed, 2014-04-23 07:01

My bucket list has an extended trip in that part of the world. Awesome bit of earth.

Ben Derecki's picture

Date Joined: 10/10/07

Sweet pics

Wed, 2014-04-23 08:45

Such an awesome part of the state / country.  Cheers for posting mate.

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

Very  nice ,whos the good

Wed, 2014-04-23 15:17

Very  nice ,whos the good looking girl down the back tanning herself, One would have thought she would be cleaning the boat or cooking you something,even bring you a cold beer .Or mabe shes just getting her breath back from so much running around .Will have to join you next time round ,great looking place ,thanks for sharing .talk soon.

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls

outdoinit's picture

Yeah you got that one right Paul,

Wed, 2014-04-23 18:12

She's down the back tanning and relaxing while Skip was flat out keeping boat and passengers all happy and safe.. 

Paul G's picture

Date Joined: 12/12/07

Skippers job is an endless

Wed, 2014-04-23 18:16

Skippers job is an endless one ,im still recovering from the Abrolhos.

Active Gyp-Rok solutions ,Residential  and commercial ceilings and walls

Date Joined: 18/01/12

imagine how tired you'd have

Thu, 2014-04-24 09:09

imagine how tired you'd have been if I didnt lend you a 7&9 year old to help pull fish in!

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

outdoinit's picture

Yeah well he is getting OLD

Thu, 2014-04-24 09:53

I hear 50 not far away..

tim-o's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/11

Yeah, love the contrast of

Wed, 2014-04-23 16:58

Yeah, love the contrast of aqua blue water and sunburnt orange cliffs

I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.

Reefmonkey's picture

Date Joined: 22/09/08

Looks great

Fri, 2014-04-25 22:50

Looks like another great trip! waterfalls would have been cranking after the wet they had this year. Hope the fish were firing for you, top effort making it to the Sale too

Dave J.

outdoinit's picture

Yeah Dave, Waterfalls were flowing

Sun, 2014-04-27 13:58

everywhere, but the one that did take me by suprise was the amount of fresh water flowing down the Sale River, absoulte cranking..

Lots of Barra in the sale but only managed to get one there, but did get a number of Jacks around the structure where the fresh and salt water meet..

Awesome place and I am sure I will be back there again some day..

Devo1965's picture

Date Joined: 29/09/13

Bucket List.

Sat, 2014-04-26 09:53

Good report and photos. Would be a trip of a life time and with a few reports of trailer boats hitting the area and pushing the limits it has to be added to my bucket list, hope I live to 150, the list is long.

Devo1965

Date Joined: 13/12/12

Now that's an adventure,

Thu, 2014-05-22 10:40

Now that's an adventure, thanks for sharing. 

Not many of us Lyndon's around.

outdoinit's picture

Yeah not many of us around

Fri, 2014-05-23 17:11

you would now be the 3rd I know of.. Cheers mate 

backlash's picture

Date Joined: 12/10/10

another great report & pics

Sun, 2014-09-07 16:36

thanks !

Date Joined: 03/05/06

Top stuff

Sun, 2014-09-07 20:11

Can't believe I nearly missed this.  Always look forward to your trip reports and great pics.