Mackerel Islands 2017

About 2 weeks ago, we headed up to the Mackerel Islands. Had a few issues on the way up, one being one of three boats almost lost a wheel and lost a hub stud. But a quick replacement, and no issues for the rest of the trip.

Travel was 1 day to canarvon, then 1 day to the islands from Onslow. Upon arriving at Thevenard Island, we were met by some staff who helped us empty the boats.

Planning the 4 days we were there, the weather looked pretty Average and quietened our spirits a bit. 

Day 1 consisted of us waiting until about 11am until the wind died from about 25kts to 15knts, which we headed out. With only half a day, we went straight for Goldband in the 110m marks. Quickly obtained close to our bag on Spanglies, Goldband, Red Emperors and a 21kg Malabar Cod, which spat out about 3 spanglies when it surfaced. The small whalers were reckless and when i pulled up a double header of them, they were followed up by an amazing sight of approx 100kg black marlin which swam next to us during our drift for a good minute or two. Jet black with a small blue fin on top. an amazing sight to see. We headed back in, and stopped on a few places  in 60m and managed some amazing rankin between 5-7kg to top the bag on demersals. Then would you believe it, mackies jumping around the boat 20ft in the air. Dropped a lure and 10kg mackie in the boat quick smart before we were running low on light and headed back in. 

Day 2, this day was a known write off with weather, but one of our boats decided to go adrift and break its mooring. (will detail this later). 

Day 3, this was the day to be. Wind meant to die off about 10am to basically 5knts. We charged out deep to fill up on Goldband and Scarlets. First drop, would you believe it, biggest Rankin and Scarlet i've seen. Both around 7-8kg each. Double headers of goldband, all 3 rods buckled every drop for a good couple of hours. 
From here, we headed in as our mates boat didn't have much in his esky. Stopped in 55m and WOW, the sounder lit up. Came up 10m full of fish. All 3 rods dropped down, all 3 rods buckled with fish on Steriods, all double headers. What came up off this spot was only BIG rankin, reds and big scarlets between 5-8kg, consistently. I don't think i've seen so many Rankin come off one spot. There were two patches within 50m of each other just loaded with big fish. Amazing (wish i had another day here). We gave it 30mins before we headed in with all full bags, as light was running out. 

Day 4. This was a known write off, but we had a phone call from the water police at barrow island. The boat had amazingly washed ashore, in drivable condition. Hull needs a refurb, but otherwise looked great considering it was missing for 2 days. Mate was able to get a lift over to barrow and pick up his boat and drive it back to the islands. Lucky!

Amazing fishing, but unfortunately the weather held us out for most of the 4 days. If you decide to go here, take some serious insect repellant. THe Sand fly's are ferocious. We were destroyed. 2 weeks later we are still itching with welts. 
Also the fuel prices are crazy at $2.30L. 
Staff upon arriving were good, but the last 2 days, the second crew intelligence was non-existent, and less helpful. We were lucky on day 4 when refuelling, as on Day 3 the operator was a bright spark having a cigarette near the fuel tanks/pump. Day 4 when i was trying to fuel up, looked up and fuel spraying meters into the air and was only 1m behind the same dodo operator. (no ciggie luckily). Took me a few yells and pointing to indicate the issue to the bright spark. Fuel filter split its housing. 

Didn't take many pics, as it was rush rush with few hours fishing we did have. But enjoy below!

Next Coral Bay in July! Hoping to get a good day to get out to the 300s for Rubys!

-Spence

Insta: @wafishingofficial

Image Upload: 

Date Joined: 01/02/10

Plenty of fillers there.

Sat, 2017-05-27 18:31

Plenty of fillets there. Sharks weren't too bad? 

Every time I've been to mackies there has been mooring issues but never totally lost a boat. Always just washed up on the beach.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Guardy's picture

Date Joined: 09/08/12

WOW

Sat, 2017-05-27 18:30

All I can do is dream!!! Apart from the weather and the boat going adrift looks like it was a great trip. Well done.

Date Joined: 26/04/14

thats a crazy amount of

Sun, 2017-05-28 15:15

thats a crazy amount of filleting there.

little johnny's picture

Date Joined: 04/12/11

Lol just had don

Sun, 2017-05-28 17:20

Over here sorting his sounder out for him. Wrong settings. Lucky to get boat back. Good feed

Date Joined: 30/05/17

Good to see you were in good

Wed, 2017-05-31 05:36

Good to see you were in good enough spirits to still fish after losing a boat. I found your boat on the rocks at barrow and drove it off - it could've broken up easy but it was lucky timing we spotted it. your outboard leg slowed the drift as it dragged accross the reef with an incoming tide 

How did you lose it? On anchor or mooring?

Stevo81's picture

Date Joined: 16/04/12

Surely youve earnt yourself

Wed, 2017-05-31 06:47

Surely youve earnt yourself a slab for that mate! 

••••••••  Electrical Contractor NOR  ••••••••

little johnny's picture

Pjm just spoke to don

Wed, 2017-05-31 07:24

On phone ,do you or any of your work mates have any photos of the event( boat on reef ect). I think it's something to do with insurance . If so I will pm you dons number( guys boat you found). Cheers tomo

Date Joined: 30/05/17

Have photos some where we

Wed, 2017-05-31 09:07

Have photos some where we relocated it to a sandy beach to check if it was water tight. Will ask around for ones where it first grounded. Send me contact and I can give info on location, time etc for insurance. And of coarse my address for the block of export 

Spence's picture

Date Joined: 09/08/10

Hey mate. Have sent you a PM

Wed, 2017-05-31 09:29

Hey mate. Have sent you a PM with details.

amazing who's watching on these forums. Your help is much appreciated 

-Spence

little johnny's picture

Bush chooks lol

Wed, 2017-05-31 09:28

Sending pm with dons details

straith's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/13

Great report mate! Im

Sat, 2017-06-10 01:43

Great report mate! 

Im heading up to karratha early september with the missus and taking my 5.65 ocean whaler c/c.

Thinking about maybe trying thevenard for a week.

Just wondering can the crossing from onslow be any drama or pretty much like rotto? 

Also you mentioned the midgies... are they bad enough to wreck the holiday you reckon if winds keep you on the beach snorkelling etc?

Missus is fairly tolerant but not much fun if we are stuck indoors on an island holiday. 

Any other advice / opinion re winds, accomodation etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Spence's picture

Date Joined: 09/08/10

Yeh mate, easy enough trip.

Sat, 2017-06-10 06:38

Yeh mate, easy enough trip. Just shallow onto island on low tide. So prop up.

the sand flies are bad only at night. Stay indoors or deet up. 

-Spence

Brock O's picture

Date Joined: 11/01/08

Great write up Spence,

Sat, 2017-06-10 05:41

Great write up Spence, amazing trip and fish, how good is that red in the last pic.

Well done to the lads on the boat rescue, great people up that part of the country, hope it gets sorted!

straith's picture

Date Joined: 25/11/13

Cheers Spence! Will

Sat, 2017-06-10 06:51

Cheers Spence! Will definitely give it a shot.