New Zealand 2023

So we landed in Auckland 1st of Feb staying with a friend for the night before driving up to Paihia the next morning. 

The weather was quite balmy but very comfortable after getting away from the stinking heat here. On the way up stopped into  Whangarei for lunch and a couple of beers right on the water front.

I fell in love with this little tub that was parked up, some boast just have that X factor and I just loved the unique design of this one. 

Next day was a day trip on a big cat out to the hole in the rock in the Bay of Islands and a stop at Cook's lookout where he proclaimed it the "Bay of Isalnds"

Day after was a ferry trip over to Russell where me and my mate spent the day on the front deck of The Duke of Marlborough pub while the misso went shopping, was glorious ;P 

We watched the Maori boys paddle down the river towrds the Waitangi festival grounds as we had a magnificent view from our air b&b was pretty impressive to hear them, very powerful. 

The next few days was at a Bach in Matapouri with friends of our friend, the owner has a huge steel fab business so fairly minted. Anyway he's a mad fisho and shares the Stabi with his brothers, went out on ideal conditions to catch half a dozen Pinks and a decent Trevor.

Their minmum Pink size is 300mm. Enjoyed the boat as it's fairly new just under 6m , fishing the strong currents there was interesting trying to feel the bites. But picked it up pretty quick, their bait Pilchards are massive wish we could get those XOS models here.

The weather and company during this week was excellent with some superb Kiwi wines and  craft beers consumed.

Back to Auckland where things started to go a bit pear shaped with the impending cyclone, we were meant to head to Cook's beach on the Coromandel but canned that as it was too risky so hung around Auckland and a day trip to Waiheke island which is just beautiful, there's some serious wealth in New Zealand. I guess you could alsmost compare Waiheke to Rotto but with mansions and wineries.

Next we had flights booked to Napier that were cancelled so our freind lent us her car as we really wanted to see our very good friends in Patangata just south of Havelock North, so took the plunge and drove down there. Arrived there ok and was good to see my mate Rod who owns a dairy farm north at Tutira north of Napier.

I had brought over a bottle of Grange for us to share and he said we'd have it when he got back from his farm he had to tend for the next couple of days as the cows were in full milk. 

He also wanted to take me for a trout fish as he's a mad keen fly fisherman and shooter/hunter. 

He left the next morning then the cyclone hit, not somuch the wind but the farken rain. I've never seen anything like it and the Tuki Tuki river near us broke it's banks in a few places just north of us.

Some photos below don't do it justice but you can see the hill slips, front of the house was a river at one stage.

All coms, water and electricity went down and didn't even know if we could get out, bit of a stressful time.

Finally got in contact with Rod after a few days and he said his farm was basically destroyed, cows were fine but a lot of the land  had been washed away.

He had to get choppered out in the end as he's on meds and in his late 60's, he's a tough old bugger and a man mountain but only so much you can take. 

He neary lost one of his dogs down what they call a tomo (crevice) ground opened up by all the rain and ground movement, managed to snare the dog before he was buried in the mud. 

I didn't get to see him again before I left but told his missus to give him the grange, he'd earn't it and hopefully something to take his mind off the crap for a while. 

It's going take them years to get out of this shite, from what I'm hearing Napier still has no power or coms. 

Back up to Auckland having to head south to Palmerston and through the western side of Taupo on the scenic route, bloody god's country.

One thing I can say is we never had a bad meal the whole time we were there, they just do it well.

We will be back.........

Love the West!

Alan James's picture

Date Joined: 30/06/09

Good post Andy

Sun, 2023-02-19 17:28

Shame about the weather. 

Some areas of Hawkes Bay (HB) got hit pretty hard.  My kiwi mate who invited me to fish with him in Vanuatu late last year lives just out of Hastings.  He was racing his car in the South Island when the cyclone hit.  He was to tow the car back to HB on the Monday but gave up on that idea and flew into Napier on the Tuesday. No road access to his house so he was choppered in.  His wife who had remained in HB was OK but no power or water.  He says they were very fortunate with no property damage but others close by were not so lucky. As of yesterday there was still no power or water but comms restored.  He has had generators flown in from Christchuch; his daughter lives there.  The official death toll is currently 11 but he expects that to increase significantly, as in hundreds.  Very sad.  I don't watch the mainstream news these days so I don't know what's been shown.  Some of the pics I've seen are horrifying.  Houses completely destroyed and or buried.    

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Definite long road ahead for

Mon, 2023-02-20 11:55

Definite long road ahead for them Alan.

It shows how things we take for granted can be gone so quickly.

Love the West!

Alan James's picture

Date Joined: 30/06/09

Boat in first pic

Mon, 2023-02-20 16:53

The boat in the first pic is a cracker Andy.  I can see you in something like that in 40m off Seabird.   

I've always associated the damage from cyclones as more wind related.  This is not the case in Hawkes Bay.  The majority of damage is from the volume of water.  This huge volume of water has acted like a tsunami from inland.  This is where the loss of life will come from.

sea-kem's picture

Ha ha oh the lotto

Mon, 2023-02-20 18:01

Ha ha oh the lotto life.....

And yeah it was the amount of rain that blew me away, there were stories of people climbing into their roof space and having to punch through onto their rooves. We saw lots of police teams with dogs in Havelock assembling ready for the search work. 

Love the West!

Date Joined: 03/01/12

Great read

Sun, 2023-02-19 17:13

Great read Andy, thanks for sharing, shame about the weather but sadly that's one thing we can't do anything about.

I have only been to NZ once and mostly on the Sth Island, such a beautiful place, a bit like parts of Tassie, will certainly go back as still more to see.

Skull

sea-kem's picture

Mon, 2023-02-20 12:01

Love the West!

Brock O's picture

Date Joined: 11/01/08

Great read Andy, sounds a

Sun, 2023-02-19 20:03

Great read Andy, sounds a solid trip although friends getting offset doesn't sit well.

Heard some great things about NZ but reading that really makes it a must visit.

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

Certainly sounds like you had

Mon, 2023-02-20 04:46

Certainly sounds like you had a great trip right up to the end. Mother nature can certainly stuff thing up for many. As Sandy is a kiwi we hope to get over there soon so she can show me the places she grew up.

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Cyclone

Mon, 2023-02-20 06:01

Definitely sounds like the weather hit it hard. Looks like a good trip Andy, can't wait to head over.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

tcarroll's picture

Date Joined: 17/12/13

Magic!

Mon, 2023-02-20 10:53

Great write up.

The place is absolutely magic! We did a 3 week trip to the North Island about 4 years back in the summer, mainly sticking to the northern half of the island, and couldn't speak highly enough of the place. Awesome little coastal towns all over the shop, great landbased fishing for pinks, really fun uncrowded surf and just generally lovely landscape.... Really loved some of the small coastal towns just east of Whangarei (still dont understand how WH makes an EFF sound) and was exploring relocation options over there but the price of realestate was well out of our range unfortunately.... Can't wait to get back over with the kids one day for some more exploring. 

sea-kem's picture

Lol copped a lot of $hit from

Mon, 2023-02-20 11:53

Lol copped a lot of $hit from my Kiwi mate trying to pronounce that and a few other town names.

Love the West!

tcarroll's picture

Date Joined: 17/12/13

Yep!

Mon, 2023-02-20 15:54

Yep I think it was our airbnb hosts in the Coromandel that corrected us after we told them we had just come from "Wangamatta" and where heading up to "Wangaray" and they looked at us funny until they worked out what we meant and said "Fungumatta" and "Funguray" 

Swompa's picture

Date Joined: 14/10/12

Memorable holiday for a

Mon, 2023-02-20 11:01

Memorable holiday for a variety of reasons!

Hope our eastern island mates get a bit of luck over there. They have had a cracking bad run. 

Date Joined: 19/06/14

Looks like you had fun Andy.

Tue, 2023-02-21 04:53

I like the looks of the passagemaker. Drool!.  

My wife understands why I clean my rods n reels in the shower....

timboon's picture

Date Joined: 14/11/10

Nice one Andy, The kiwis get

Sat, 2023-02-25 04:37

Nice one Andy,

The kiwis get a bit of a bad wrap, probably more so here in the West but they are such hospitable people over there.

I love the place.

Heading back early May to go Tahr hunting down near Fox in the south.

I agree, that boat is a dream boat. One day you could be getting hapuka out wide and the next heading to Indo for the winter...