Ningaloo Reef Popping 21-23rd March 2011

I just returned from a 3 day popping trip to Ningaloo, we were spoiled with exceptional weather for the 3 days as well as ideal full moon tides.

Day 1-
On the first day I made my way down from Karratha roughly a 5 hour drive and arrived to light winds and beautiful sunny skies. We packed the boat and departed around lunch time. Shortly after we arrived at the first popping grounds. Fortunately there was a small swell so this made popping easy on the outer reef edge. It didn't take long for some action and Glenn had a feisty red bass boatside. Not long after I hooked another, a little bigger. We continued to pop the reef edge slowly making our way further north when Glenn hooked up again, this time a nice little GT. Glenn was next to hookup again this time another bass but it made it's way back to the reef in record time. Fortunately we managed to extract the abalone GT2 minus the bass. I hooked up this time and after a reasonable tussle turned out to be an average GT around 20kg. By this time the wind had picked up a little so we decided to make our way into the lagoon and find an anchorage before it got too dark.

Day 2-
We woke up early and continued popping along the same section of reef, it was difficult looking into the sun which meant we couldn't see the reef or any fish we raised. On about my 5th cast I hooked a small fish which I called for a mini GT but turned out to be a little Green Jobfish. We continued to pop for not much action so we headed wide to try some jigging. Found a nice lump that rose from 40m up to 20m. Sounder showed plenty of fish but surprisingly little interest besides a few Sweetlip Emperor. We decided to head back into the reef and continue popping. Within a few casts I had a Spaniard jump on, pesky little things at times. We came across a section of reef that was just loaded with bait, Glenn had a hookup and we called it for a small GT but turned out to be a beautiful Bluefin Trevally, one of the biggest I've seen. Shortly after I hooked a GT around the 20kg mark and got him to the boat rather green, as Glenn went to leader the fish he took off and pulled the hooks boatside. Soon after I hooked up again this time it was a much bigger fish, fortunately he didn't take off on a screaming run and I started to wonder if my initial estimate was wrong. We towed him to some deeper water, then he woke up and after a blistering run the line busted. Glenn hooked another bass after teasing it out from the shallower water and fortunately this one didn't have a chance to brick him. Glenn hooked up again and after a lovely fight we got a GT of about 25kg on board. We made the call to spend the afternoon steaming north to a new spot which took a couple of hours. When we arrived we spent the afternoon fishing the lagoon but it was reasonably quiet.

Day 3-
The next morning we began fishing the edge of an entirely different section of reef. The weather was sensational but the water was a lot dirtier than further south and we struggled to find some clean water. It turned out that it just wasn't to be our morning. I lost count of the number of missed hookups & pulled hooks but I don't think we landed a single fish along this section of reef. Glenn hooked yet another red bass although this time he didn't stop it getting to the reef and didn't get his popper back. We decided to make our way south back to the reef popped on Day 1 & 2 as it seemed far more productive. When we arrived at our spot it wasn't long before we had a hookup, unfortunately it was another one of those pesky mackerel and it managed to snip the leader and get away with my Craftbait GT3. Soon after I hooked up again but it was a extremely large red bass in some very gnarly terrain and it was all over before I managed a turn of the handle. We were now past midday and neither of us had boated a fish all day. Spirits were down.

What happened next I don't think either of us expected. We had one of the most intense sessions I've ever had, anywhere. We came across the same section we popped on day 2 that was loaded with bait and the fish were going ballistic. Probably every second cast had some kind of hit or hookup from a myriad of species including more bass, jobfish, bluefin trevally, brassy trevally & GT's. Most fish we didn't photograph unless it was an exceptional capture as we just wanted to get back into the action. Glenn had some of the worst luck I've seen. After getting busted off by a better than average GT he then pulled the hooks on two very respectable GT's after surviving the first blistering run and once we were in deep water. Eventually he managed to stay connected to a fish and boated a nice fat GT around 22kg. I changed to a Hammerhead C Cup and on the 2nd cast got absolutely monstered by a good size GT. After a nice fight we boated the fish and estimated around 40kg. I think I boated one more GT around the 18kg mark then we decided to call it a day and head back to the ramp as it was starting to get late.

Tackle and Lures Used-

Hammerhead Faube 77H
Ripple Fisher GT78PF
Carpenter SP78UHL
Carpenter CV79RF40
Fisherman GT Game T-RSH

Shimano Stella SW18000HG & Daiwa Saltiga Dogfight
Shimano Stella 10000SW

Varivas Avani GT PE8 & PE10

The best lures were medium poppers in the 120-150g range. Natural colours seemed to work the best, ones that had a light (white-silver) underside contrasted by a dark upper body. In particular the Craftbait GT2 and GT3 (150g) in Skipjack and Craftbait & Hammerhead in Yellowfin tuna colour. Blue and white orion Cono Cono's also worked exceptionally well. Most of the time bright coloured lures were used it yielded little or no interest at all. We also had minimal interest on Stickbaits but we didn't use them often as the bloopers were working very well.

PilbaraBrad's picture

Date Joined: 16/05/07

very nice bro, very nice!

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:10

very nice bro, very nice!

chrisp's picture

Date Joined: 24/05/08

Nice..

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:12

Report boys,good Photo's and fish to boot!

Gjoe's picture

Date Joined: 18/09/10

Awesome report

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:12

Wow man looks like an awesome trip. That bluefin trevally looks amazing and the sunset photo is wicked too. Nice variety of fish pulled . You'd think with photos like this it would have been a 3 week trip not a 3 day trip. Good on ya mate thanks for the pics!

jay_burgess's picture

Date Joined: 18/08/05

Cheers bro was everything I

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:13

Cheers bro was everything I could have asked for and more... Just wish we could have landed more of the GTs!

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Jay

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:21

Nice work Jay, good to see your still getting into it.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

Feral's picture

Date Joined: 01/11/06

great fishing there Jay ..

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:25

great fishing there Jay .. was this a charter or your own boat ?? .. does anyone do a GT charter in exmouth at all ?? 

snappermiles's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/10

nice rightup

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:26

those gts are nice fat buggers! would have been a great couple of days! although i bet your arms were sore afterwards!

ALL FISHERMEN ARE LIARS EXCEPT YOU AND ME! AND IM NOT SO SURE ABOUT YOU!

jay_burgess's picture

G'day Feral this was a

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:29

G'day Feral this was a private boat, for charters try http://www.peaksportfishing.com.au/

scuttlebutt's picture

Date Joined: 24/03/06

Ripper fish Jay.  Is that a

Sun, 2011-03-27 10:40

Ripper fish Jay.  Is that a scratch on your lens or the a bit of fluff on the sensor top right?

jay_burgess's picture

Turns out it was a bit of

Sun, 2011-03-27 11:15

Turns out it was a bit of fluff on the sensor... all good now.

soupster51's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

Awesome

Sun, 2011-03-27 12:57

Great write up and pics Jay. I always look forward to reading your reports. Top job.

The best reason for doing what's right today is tomorrow.

aussie_breamer's picture

Date Joined: 24/08/10

awesome

Sun, 2011-03-27 13:22

awesome job mate.

great fish and top report!!!

bream slayer

PattyT's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/10

Doesnt look like that much

Sun, 2011-03-27 15:00

Doesnt look like that much fun.... hahaha.

AWESOME!!

JGS's picture

Date Joined: 16/03/10

Great Report

Sun, 2011-03-27 15:48

Great pics,great location what else can be said!!

spanishmackeral's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/11

nice fish mate, so jealous

Sun, 2011-03-27 18:39

nice fish mate, so jealous

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

nice work fellas, pity we

Sun, 2011-03-27 19:32

nice work fellas, pity we didn't head down but thge weather was too good not to go out to the islands from here. Spending the night down with Glenn Monday night so hopefully there may be a few G's closer to CB that are keen on our poppers.

Gotta be happy with the 40kg GT too, is that the new PB?

jay_burgess's picture

Hi Tim, yes it's a shame you

Sun, 2011-03-27 19:57

Hi Tim, yes it's a shame you didn't head down, would have been good to catch up with another boat while we were out. Good luck when you go down, let us know how it goes (I'm sure I will hear from Glenn anyway). I've already heard reports of more GT's and lure losses to Red Bass since I've left! I'm fairly certain it's a new PB, so pretty stoked to get it in local WA waters :)

SamC's picture

Date Joined: 30/08/06

Oh yep

Sun, 2011-03-27 20:44

Mint trip there Jay.

Quality G's there. That Bluefin is a fair horse too..

Good shit mate

Cheers,

Sam

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

sounds like a great trip in

Sun, 2011-03-27 23:37

sounds like a great trip in ways of the weather and the fish action. some great fish there. 

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Webby's picture

Date Joined: 24/09/08

Jay, its been a while mate,

Mon, 2011-03-28 00:20

Jay, its been a while mate, awesome photos and fish bud, well done

I live with fear every day... sometimes she lets me go fishing.

Lastchance's picture

Date Joined: 02/02/09

Nice work boys.You guys head

Mon, 2011-03-28 09:14

Nice work boys.You guys head back into town each night or stay on the boat?

jay_burgess's picture

Thanks Webby, has been a

Mon, 2011-03-28 09:15

Thanks Webby, has been a while! Last trip off Dampier lost a HORSE of a fish after I just about got spooled, so was good to get one back on them... although I still suffered a few lure casualties (2x Craftbait 1x Carpenter).

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Great report Jay

Mon, 2011-03-28 09:39

And nice to see you back in the Gtrain action again, Some of those red bass are horses and no wonder they can brick you in a flick. Are they any good on the palate because we dont have cigue over here. I would have thought so being another Latjana but never tried/caught one yet.

Neels

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

fishnut's picture

Date Joined: 22/09/10

we do have ciguatera over

Mon, 2011-03-28 11:16

we do have ciguatera over here - not as common as on the east coast, but definately here.  I know at least one incidence from the Montes.

jay_burgess's picture

Aparantly they are beautiful

Mon, 2011-03-28 10:41

Aparantly they are beautiful eating Neels, and as you said, cig free over here. We released all of ours but were considering keeping one to take home on the last day but we didn't manage to get one to the boat! Pound for pound I would say they are just about the hardest and most dirty fighters I've come across...

crasny1's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Yes I would say they are only second to the papuan bass

Mon, 2011-03-28 12:11

which they are relted to. Makes a Jack which is no slough look like kitten. Love to tussle with one one of these days for sure.

Neels

"I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact!!" _ Elon Musk

Date Joined: 01/02/10

I kept a couple of Red Bass

Mon, 2011-03-28 12:28

I kept a couple of Red Bass when I was in Darwin. Not that great to eat. Big mangrove jacks are pretty ordinary too.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

tailor marc's picture

Date Joined: 27/09/06

WOW!!! Great pics and unreal

Mon, 2011-03-28 11:20

WOW!!! Great pics and unreal fish! !

My photography pictures... http://westernhorizonsmedia.wordpress.com/

fishnut's picture

Date Joined: 22/09/10

fantastic!  so jealous -

Mon, 2011-03-28 11:23

fantastic!  so jealous - popping is my favourite way to fish, but never had a few days quite like that.  Nice to see the jobbie in amongst it too - very tasty

jay_burgess's picture

For interests sake total

Mon, 2011-03-28 11:26

For interests sake total distance travelled was around 100 nautical miles.

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

damm thats a long trip, i'm

Mon, 2011-03-28 11:56

damm thats a long trip, i'm guessing you probably got down close to Winderbandi point with that kind of distance travelled. those red bass are a suprise i didn't think we'd get them close on the reef here, ive never seen one caught locally bar the Rowley Shoals.

Top report Jay, makes me want to pack the Dogfight for some fun :)

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

jay_burgess's picture

We were a little surprised

Mon, 2011-03-28 12:23

We were a little surprised too Brucesta. I knew there was definitely a chance of one showing up during the trip but didn't expect to see as many as we did. We probably hooked about a dozen, only landed about 3 though, got bricked by a few and dropped the rest. It's hard to get a solid hookup with heavy gauge GT hooks sometimes. But that's just the ones we hooked! Probably raised twice that!

Me and Brad raised a couple on poppers at North Muiron a couple of years ago and the odd ones show up at the Monties from time to time.

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Great report to read JaySome

Mon, 2011-03-28 14:22

Great report to read Jay

Some good pics there too.

Getting me very pumped for a trip up there in 4 weeks!

Dan

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

Kasey L.'s picture

Date Joined: 02/03/06

I'm surprised you got bricked

Tue, 2011-03-29 11:10

I'm surprised you got bricked by that many Bass! Wouldn't expect that so much on heavy gear.

You've got yourself a UHL Jay? Strong rod strong man.

jay_burgess's picture

Hi Kasey it's all about line

Tue, 2011-03-29 11:25

Hi Kasey it's all about line angles, in most cases the bass didn't even need to pull drag to get into the reef!

I didn't use the UHL much, it kills me haha.

poddyfish's picture

Date Joined: 01/05/07

sweet

Tue, 2011-03-29 11:36

great report jay! sounds like a awesome trip!

re the redbass a coule of good mates of mine went to coral bay last weekend spearing.... found some average areas nothing special but they said the red bass where everywhere!! some over 10kg aswell 

Fear The Spear............! 

jay_burgess's picture

Thanks podman

Tue, 2011-03-29 11:51

Yep the red bass were some of the biggest & meanest I've ever seen.

STEVE231's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/10

Good report and pics

Tue, 2011-03-29 16:39

Good report and pics Jay. 

Also really encouraging to see such quality fish landed in WA waters. The bass are rippers but that Bluefin is a hooter!!

Thanks for the read.

fishmark's picture

Date Joined: 30/08/09

got the juices flowing

Tue, 2011-03-29 20:52

Just starting to think about my trip to exxxy  and theres 3 or 4 days filled all ready awsome report guys