Perth Samson jiggin trip december 11 and 12 2010

hey there fellas new to the site im from south australia

i have been caught up in the jiggin faze watched alot of movies but never have tried.

in sa thers not much around for jiggin manily only a few spots away but about a 8 hr drive from adelaide.

i am going to perth for a few days in december and goin with blue juice

now i no alota people say they are good and bad but i myself hav never been

so all your info experiences and all would be great about blue juice as i no ther a few other who opperate and have herd about them also.

i will be bringing my own gear

just bought a Daiwa Saltiga Expedition spooled wid 90lb saltiga braid and purchased a Jigging Master Three King Special 53 M Spinning Rod

as i am new to it all

i know im in for some fun pain

so all your info and tips eg what too doo and not wat to do techniques etc. would be of great help to me in fighting and landing some samsons feel free to post about anything in this thread Smile

cheers Saltiga.x

cheers

fishyink's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

if your flying over, and

Thu, 2010-08-05 16:00

if your flying over, and going to be over on weight with your luggage, take all your hooks of your jigs and cary your jig bag on the plain, my jig bag ways like 8kg. wich is almost half the lugage limit for some airlines

lurcha's picture

Date Joined: 29/12/09

i was taught by some wise

Thu, 2010-08-05 16:46

i was taught by some wise people from this sight to leave your hooks off your jigs and have them rigged up hook, split ring and swivel and attach them to ya jig when ready to use and just swap them over to different jigs as you go. makes jigs easier to store and you dont need to keep cutting off and tying on jigs. also stretch before especially your lower back!!! good luck

Date Joined: 04/08/10

ay lurcha cheers for the

Thu, 2010-08-05 17:07

ay lurcha cheers for the response in this pic

is this what you meen?

with a shogun ball bearing swivel tied to my leader then

im running all owner split rings n solid rings and cultiva hooks

so if i wna change a jig over all i have to use is the split ring pliers thats how i have it set up

is this the same you mentioned of yours different? cheers buddy

lurcha's picture

Date Joined: 29/12/09

thats the way mate, so much

Thu, 2010-08-05 21:21

thats the way mate, so much easier to do it like that. last thing you want to do is be tying knots every time you want to change jigs. but if theyre on the chew they will hit just about anything so jig changes wont be neccesary.  you could consider using better quality swivels however i used to use shoguns for all my fishing, jigging included and ive never had one break. only upgraded to keep up with the Joneses!!!

yeh cheers man the shoguns

Thu, 2010-08-05 21:38

yeh cheers man the shoguns are 445lb

but i may look to get some others too :)

What is the best knot too tie to the swivel from the leader?

cheers

DazSamFishing's picture

Date Joined: 19/08/09

If you do a search, there's

Thu, 2010-08-05 17:55

If you do a search, there's plenty of info on sambo jigging.

I've had a few mates fly over for weekend jigging trips - don't be upset if the weathers too crapola to get out though.

yeh im praying to the gods

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:04

yeh im praying to the gods it will be good

i dont no what its like around the middle of decemeber usally there hope its good the operator from bluijuice said its usally well around midd december but yeh who ever lives there would no

down in SA in december 9/10 times the water is flat like carpet

Lamby's picture

Date Joined: 04/08/09

how long you in town for

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:06

how long you in town for mate? I reckon December is going to be hot with the jigging action and you could score a deckie spot to the barges easily!

ay buddy :) arriving 10th

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:15

ay buddy :)

arriving 10th december morning  n leaving 13th midday

only have the 11th bookd with bluejuice not sure what too doo on sundayy

whats the barges if you dont mind me asking :) cheers

STEVE231's picture

Date Joined: 05/01/10

Barges

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:24

The barges are where the Samson fish congregate, and that's where you fish for them!!

thanks steve :)learning

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:27

thanks steve :)learning soemthing new every reply from you legends

STEVE231's picture

"legends"

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:41

Don't know about the legends tag too much, but if the weather is good and the sharks aren't an issue, you'll go home dragging your knuckles along the ground like an ape, them things pull HARD!! especially after your 5 or so fish!! I went out last season for 3.5 hrs and we boated 17 fish up to 40kg, as a consequence I struggled to lift my arms for a week!! It's strange, but we call this fun!!

yehs im in for a

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:45

yehs im in for a treat

people here in SA are sayin that 2 days of jigging would be impossible for you to handle

and not too book a second day. i duno who to believe lol

DazSamFishing's picture

Date Joined: 19/08/09

weak if you can't jig 2 days

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:48

weak if you can't jig 2 days straight. lol

thats what i said lol or

Thu, 2010-08-05 18:51

thats what i said lol or jelous lol

Goodz's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/09

You're gonna have a blast

Thu, 2010-08-05 22:06

You're gonna have a blast mate!!! Maybe we should organise a fishwrecked jigging trip on the sunday, good excuse to meet a few people and get even more stretched! Definately have to do 2 days of jigging if you've come all that way over here!

Goodz i like your idea man

Thu, 2010-08-05 22:16

Goodz i like your idea man that would be great use are all top blokes would be good :D

Goodz's picture

You shoulda booked your

Thu, 2010-08-05 22:23

You shoulda booked your charter for the sunday and the sat you coulda come out with some of fishwreckeders and gotten a crash course is sambo jigging! Either way, I think we should do some jigging!!! Anyone want to provide a boat or 2? Or otherwise we could book a charter boat.

Lamby's picture

I will register interest to

Thu, 2010-08-05 22:26

I will register interest to head out to the barges in the tub but will be dependent on winds. Can probably fish one more out of ours, would be good if a few more are heading out. Swing by the quokka arms on the way in for a well earned bevy!

STEVE231's picture

Keen also

Fri, 2010-08-06 05:54

Liam, I'm keen to take the boat out as well, it would be a good day with a few boats.

Goodz's picture

I will also register

Fri, 2010-08-06 06:45

I will also register interest to deckie a boat :)

Lamby's picture

Good stuff, will be fun out

Fri, 2010-08-06 15:54

Good stuff, will be fun out at the barges fellas!

but i can change my dates

Thu, 2010-08-05 22:31

but i can change my dates around but gota few othe rboys that only wana do one days fishing so gta make the happy too lol but sunday is free

praying to god every night the weather is well :)

would be nice to hava fishwreckd day out jiggin im in :)

bevy would go down nice:)

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

mate you are gonna LOVE that

Fri, 2010-08-06 02:09

mate you are gonna LOVE that rod, I used the over head 3K-M in NZ and it is sweet as. As for drag settings, go as hard as you dare and see if you like it. Keep your forearm straight and pivot through your hips and knees, makes it way easier to fight a fish and you'll last the distance- if you keep lifting with your arm only you'll burn out. And no high sticking. If you don't like it man up! You're flying the flag for SA so do us proud.

With your rigging, I try to avoid the split ring being in the connection straight to the fish. Instead try to loop your assist hook to the swivel direct instead. Josh ("accident prone" on here) uses this and lands some monster kingies and takes the doubt of the split ring opening up away, I've lost a good fish through this happening so never again. Also tie up your own assist hooks. Get some hooks (Owner SJ41 or 51, Fisherman Shinden or JM hooks) and some #50 red jig cord and do up a batch. Cheaper and you know what the quality is.
try this:
http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f172/gmans-intro-vertical-jigging-67557.html
on the second page there are tying instructions but the rest is worth a read too.
Good luck, you'll have a ball, there's nothing comparable to sambo jigging is SA.

thanks tim will deff loock

Fri, 2010-08-06 06:18

thanks tim will deff loock into that i hav a few months to go deff look into that :) wht knot do you recomend tied from leader to swivel. and the method you are talking about with the assist hook to the swivel could you show me  apicture ? thanks man would make it clearer for me cheers

Lucky Tim's picture

Date Joined: 28/11/07

for some reason it won't let

Fri, 2010-08-06 08:18

for some reason it won't let me attach a photo so I'll try to explain it.
Tie your leader to the top ring of your swivel using either a uni or locked half blood knot. Loop your assist hook (exactly how you did to your split ring in your photo) onto the bottom ring of your swivel. Thread a split ring onto this bottom ring and attach your jig to this.
All you are doing it taking the split ring out of the direct connection to the fish, it is just there to hold your jig now. The advantage is you can use a smaller split ring as there is only minimal weight on it.
I used to use the method in your photo until I opened up a split ring on a good fish once and lost the lot. This was a heavy ring and I was spewing as it was the only good hook up I had all day.

grayzeee's picture

Date Joined: 09/07/09

thats a great site tim cheers

Fri, 2010-08-06 06:20

thats a great site tim

cheers

If I spent half as long fishing , as I do reading this bloody forum , I'd be twice the fisherman I am. 

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Gman's jigging basics is on

Fri, 2010-08-06 07:57

Gman's jigging basics is on a few sites, there is one for popping as well stickied right next to it.

I've always just attached my solid ring to my split, but there is another way to do it shown below.

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Yeah guys im keen to take

Fri, 2010-08-06 15:51

Yeah guys im keen to take the boat out.

Reckon ill be out nearly every weekend over the Sambo season!

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

fishyink's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/06

my last trip to montes i

Fri, 2010-08-06 16:01

my last trip to montes i jiged 4 days of the trip, my arms were saw on the last day, but i just maned up, once u landed a fish u forgot about the pain till you hook up again =)

sounds good boys cheers for

Fri, 2010-08-06 16:14

sounds good boys cheers for that and the pic brilliant

very much pumped for that weekend :)

keen to get out :D and jigg hardd