Seasport Charter 22/01/2010

I have no doubt in my mind that Whitey is not a man, but a god at putting you on good fish.

Saturday morning saw an early rise and a nice drive to Jurien Bay. We arrived at around 4am and like clock work Whitey's vessel was waiting and ready for an adventure. We packed the gear and piled in and in no time we were off. We decided to head out to the FADs and after a short trip, a stop for livebait and a quick vomit from myself we arrived.

Second cast saw me onto a first dolphinfish on a 6" pink snapback, the dream became a nightmare and due to having to tight drag the fish was lost. Over my shoulder however, saw 2 hook ups on a stickbait and a livey and after a short battle 2 dolphin fish were landed. We had a couple more passes and once again on live bait we saw another dolphin fish landed. I wasnt 100 percent sure the person knew they were hooked up as the fish was leaping trying to throw the hooks, it wasnt until they picked the slack up they found out they were on.

After our 3 fish were landed they went off the bite and we had a quick troll with the heavier outfits but unfortunately no hook-ups. I was hoping to see a marlin dancing on the water but i can save that till March.

A quick look at our watches showed it was not long after 7 o'clock and we moved onto the ground whitey has become famous for. There was an array of plastics and jigs. A mention goes out to Dasho who has now created an Octa jig which holds bait. The next several hours saw an array of excellent fish coming up. We filled the icebox with the usual Dhuies, Pinkies, Baldies and BB's. I was over the moon with my PB snapper and at 92cm's i cant complain.

Another great day out with Whitey and a huge thankyou to him and his deckie. I highly recommend him as the short drive gets you away from the hustle and bustle and onto some awesome fish, he is a great guy and knows his stuff. Sorry but i only took a couple snaps as i was to busy fishing.

My new PB...

The Deckies dollie...

The Mixed bag...(Photo Dasho)

Date Joined: 21/02/08

Hey sounds like another great

Mon, 2011-01-24 08:24

Hey sounds like another great trip! 92cm is a big snapper, the dollies are a lot of fun too!

I was supposed to be up there fishing today but it was canned because of the forecast =(((

jeremy-j's picture

Date Joined: 31/08/09

Yeah we were very lucky to

Mon, 2011-01-24 08:38

Yeah we were very lucky to get that small window of perfect weather. Coming up to the FAD abd seeing the dolphin fish just cruising was a sight in itself.

Dasho's picture

Date Joined: 24/03/06

That was a bloody awesome day

Mon, 2011-01-24 14:10

That was a bloody awesome day out.  Big thanks goes out to Whitey.

Dollies, monster pinkies, baldies, Dhu's, you name it, we caught it.

Was pretty happy having my mum over for lunch on Sunday and giving her 2 massive pinkies to take home.

The fishing, weather and service provided on Seasport charters was perfect, couldn't of asked for anything more. 

img683.imageshack.us/i/jurien01.jpg/

Date Joined: 19/12/10

good stuff that dollie dont

Mon, 2011-01-24 14:26

good stuff that dollie dont look to happy >:P

Names matt 

johnnofreediver's picture

Date Joined: 13/11/09

ant stick fish whitey?

Mon, 2011-01-24 14:51

ant stick fish whitey?

scere_182's picture

Date Joined: 27/01/09

awesome effort mate

Mon, 2011-01-24 15:37

sounds like a memorable outing

can't wait im heading to jurien this weekend.

hopefully we can have a similar effort with whitey on sunday.

Rob

building designer | architectural draftsman

https://www.facebook.com/robertsceresinidesigns/

abeldog's picture

Date Joined: 12/04/10

Great Fish

Mon, 2011-01-24 17:18

You Guys, hep close to a Sea God when it comes to fishing around Jurien.

Booked him for another run in March.

Can't wait

"People See Things As They Are & Ask Why???

We Can All Dream of Things That Never Were and Ask Why Not!!"( RK )

seasport's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/10

The Dolly in the top photo

Mon, 2011-01-24 17:24

The Dolly in the top photo got smashed by a bill whilst we had it on, on the opposite side of the fish is a 20cm by5cm bleeding piece of flesh missing. Its looking like a corker of a season Johnno. We heard you on the radio when you lost that one on the weekend, I was feeling for ya, we lost one after a 3hour battle last week.

Date Joined: 21/02/08

I got one off perth three

Mon, 2011-01-24 17:43

I got one off perth three seasons ago that had been touched up like that, but healed.

jeremy-j's picture

Im now rebooked for the 5th

Mon, 2011-01-24 18:45

Im now rebooked for the 5th of February and the 26th of March. Whitey will be sick of the sight of me soon. 

big john's picture

Date Joined: 20/07/06

Observation

Mon, 2011-01-24 19:02

Are any of those fish in the tub 'bleed' or are they just ikijimied only?

Nice pinkie and dolly pics!

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

Jigs available online in my web store!

seasport's picture

They are iki-jimmi and then

Mon, 2011-01-24 19:10

They are iki-jimmi and then bleed through a small incission under the gill plate, placed in an ice slurry and then soldier stacked until unloaded on the jetty. The photo in question was taken on the jettty after the fish were removed from my boat. Why do you ask?

big john's picture

Curious

Mon, 2011-01-24 19:13

Just curious is all. Can you elaborate on the bleeding method? Looks a lot neater than the cut throat method I employ.

WA based manufacturer and supplier of premium leadhead jigs, fligs, bucktail jigs, 'bulletproof' soft plastic jig heads and XOS bullet jig heads.

seasport's picture

Sure, insert a narrow pointed

Mon, 2011-01-24 19:24

Sure, insert a narrow pointed knife or your iki spike under the top of the gill plate just below the spine. The cutting of any flesh (throat latch) immediately introduces bacteria into the flesh and thus begins decay. If your fish are sitting in a slurry with blood and fish pooh this can all be absobed through the open flesh.

If you get a chance head down to your closest fish market and check out the whole fish on ice, they will have all been done in this manner, fish can stay on ice for several days when done correctly.

Hope this helps you to get the best out of your catch

big john's picture

Both sides

Mon, 2011-01-24 19:33

Do you do it from both sides of the fish or is from one side sufficient?

I never leave fish overnight in a slurry, I fillet at the end of a day no matter what.

Brock O's picture

Date Joined: 11/01/08

Great report

Mon, 2011-01-24 20:41

Jeremy, looks a great day out and i am sure youll get ya dolly next time.

And thanks for sharing the info on this method of bleeding fish, thats what makes this a great site and im sure the reason your charter is so popular.

seasport's picture

just bleed one side Big John

Mon, 2011-01-24 21:17

just bleed one side Big John

Faulkner Family's picture

Date Joined: 11/03/08

another epic trip with

Mon, 2011-01-24 22:18

another epic trip with Whitey.

sounds like it was one cracker of a day with some great fish taken. congrats on the pb snapper, one to remember.cant blame you for making a couple more bookings

well done

RUSS and SANDY. A family that fishes together stays together

Date Joined: 25/05/09

ahh thanks seasport , cutting

Tue, 2011-01-25 11:02

ahh thanks seasport , cutting the throat does let the bacteria into the meat , like i have suggested in previous posts. more importantly great post and awesome pcitures.

living is fishing

big john's picture

???????

Tue, 2011-01-25 11:33

Quote "like I have suggested in previous posts" End Quote

The last thing I seemed to remember reading from you on the subject DhuBoi was the fact that you only sometimes bleed fish, and your snapper was tasting like ammonia.

I've only ever used the iki/throat cut upside down in a bucket till drained/then onto block ice method myself. Never had a bad set of red/trout wings yet.

Keen to give Seasports method a go in the future though.

seasport's picture

Here is an extract from the

Tue, 2011-01-25 12:34

Here is an extract from the Australian Seafood Users Guide produced by Fisheries Research and the Department of Primary Industry,

To use the Iki jime technique:

1. Hold the fish firmly and insert a spike into the brain. This should be done as soon as possible after capture.

2. Bleed the fish by cutting through the top of the gills. Access the gills by lifting the gill cover.

3. Place the fish in an ice slurry. Use mostly freshwater and freshwater ice to produce a slurry with the consistency of wet concrete and at a temperature between -1C and +4C for no more than 2 hours.

4. Remove fish from the ice slurry and process further or store as required.

big john's picture

Cheers

Tue, 2011-01-25 12:48

Cheers for that Seasport. I'll have to see if it improves the flavour compared to the way I normally do it (as outlined above), although my fillets usually turn out top shelf with no blood in them.

I think the key is keeping the fish cold, plenty of ice is always onboard when I'm fishing for the table.

seasport's picture

Im sure the way you are doing

Tue, 2011-01-25 13:01

Im sure the way you are doing your fish it will be top shelf, the method I have described is best if you need to store your fish on Ice for a few days, plus the cut throat doesnt present well on the market floor, that shouldnt bother to many readers on this site. Good luck and happy fishing

big john's picture

Punters

Tue, 2011-01-25 13:04

Yeah i agree the punters in the shops would be put off by the sliced throat presentation.

Sorry for the thread hijack Jeremy.

jeremy-j's picture

Not a worry Big John. I now

Tue, 2011-01-25 13:19

Not a worry Big John. I now have a better understanding of keeping my catches in better condition for longer.

Dasho's picture

Date Joined: 24/03/06

Hey Whitey, told you we would

Tue, 2011-01-25 15:29

Hey Whitey, told you we would see you in a couple of weeks!

Can't wait to jig, FAD and chase Marlin on the 5th of Feb.

Must say my brain was mush from the Travacalm I took on the last charter. Felt like it was performing at 65% capacity and walking around like a zombie.

At one stage I knew you were paying out on us and giving us sh!t for dropping heaps of fish, but my head was too munged out to tell you to get fudged, haha.

Noticed a couple of the other boys had the same munged out blank look on their face too.

seasport's picture

Try " TRIP EASE", its

Tue, 2011-01-25 17:13

Try " TRIP EASE", its homeopathic which I think means natural. I see more peolpe suffering from the side effects of those nasty tablets than from seasickness, I heard that Kwells are banned in the US.

Xtreme Coolers's picture

Date Joined: 02/01/10

Hearing great things Whitey

Tue, 2011-01-25 17:39

Looks like you could do with a bigger cooler box to put all of those huge fish in.

Will be up there soon to take part in the fun.

Cheers

Dave