Shimano Sedona 5000 fe

Hi guys,

Does anybody have a Sedona 5000fe and if so how do you find it? Can't find any decent reviews so any shared experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Date Joined: 06/02/14

I had a 4000 that I used for

Sat, 2016-01-09 20:08

I had a 4000 that I used for throwing lures at tailor. I gave it away after a month because the bearings were shagged & it was like using a coffee grinder. I always wash my gear down immediately after every outing & the reel was completely stripped & serviced twice in that month. It was just crap. I replaced it with a Sienna that I never stripped & serviced. The sienna took 10 times the punishment & landed me heaps of stonking big tailor & salmon. After 2 seasons of abuse I retired the Sienna in perfect working order in favour of a Spheros.

I love shimano reels but thier mid range stuff just isn't really any better than their low end reels. If your on a budget buy a Sienna (I know, no 5000). If you can afford more get a stradic or spheros.

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

From an engineering perspective

Sat, 2016-01-09 20:41

Without having an understanding of how these things work, can you explain the down falls in the design/parts of Sedona Vs that of the Sienna.
To have a reel completely turn to crap after 4 weeks and twice serviced in that time to the point that you give it away, only to buy one at half the price if not less and take at leat 10 times the punishment is amazing.
There must be some seriously obvious flaws in this reel the Sienna doesn't have?
Can you elaborate?

I honestly can't tell you for

Sat, 2016-01-09 21:15

I honestly can't tell you for certain why the bearings went to crap so quickly. There seemed to be the normal amount of grease I find in a reel from the factory, not enough but enough to coat the bearings lightly, so they should have been protected. There was light rust on the bearings though so obviously somewhere in their life they had been exposed to air & moisture. There was nothing wrong with the reel other than the bearings but I'm not one to put up with gear that isn't spot on so I got rid of it. Being on a tight budget at the time & not wanting to miss out on my tailor fishing I just grabbed what I know was a reel with a good rep.

That Sedona still functioned perfectly if you could get past the constant rough/grinding feel through the handle. It went to a mate that only fishes occasionally & doesn't really care how it feels. He did tell me he sent it off for a service last year after he dropped it in the sand & the bearings were replaced. He says it's now ok but one bad experience is enough to turn me off gear so I can't recommend the Sedona to anyone, especially after having a $40 reel out perform it comprehensively.

Rather surprising really considering the insides of the two reels are almost identical with only a couple of minor differences.

lachieH's picture

Date Joined: 02/03/13

My Sedona runs like a coffee

Fri, 2016-01-15 11:57

My Sedona runs like a coffee grinder as well light 1000fd size and I have punished it a bit but I have toroughly cleaned putting new grease and oiling bearings and everything and improved only slightly. Something wrong with the bearings. Get a stradic on dinga they have a massive sale and they are super cheap right now. I recommend getting one of those I have a 5000 use it for spinning lures for salmon and as smooth as Chris Gayle 

Fishing the swan for bream, it's just an obsession

Hutch's picture

Date Joined: 21/04/13

I've had one for a short

Sun, 2016-01-10 01:28

I've had one for a short while loaded with 24lb gliss and I'm loving it. Chucks lures and slices a mile and is nice and smooth thus far.

One problem I have noticed straight up is the drag knob gets stuck and requires a bit of force to get moving. 

Also starting to realy dislike the handle design which has never happened to me on a reel before

Diesel80's picture

Date Joined: 29/08/13

I have a Sahara (think they still make them)

Sun, 2016-01-10 06:29

In the 4000 size. The series up from sedona I think? Going strong after 4 years. used for herring and lures but has hooked a 90cm queenfish in exmouth so been stretched.

Failed to land it /sadface.

Cheers,

D80 

Member of the Offshore Angling Club of WA
www.beachfishingwa.org.au

Date Joined: 12/05/13

Hey guys, Thanks for your

Sun, 2016-01-10 13:27

Hey guys, 

Thanks for your honesty. I have an insurance claim replacing some gear so am trying to work within the budget. Will keep doing my research for time being. Shimka: I quite like tinkering on reels so I wouldn't mind changing bearings if that was the only prob with it. Although if like Hutch says the handle is poorly designed then that's a little harder or more costly to tinker with. 

Cheers

Hutch's picture

Date Joined: 21/04/13

Not the handle itself, that

Sun, 2016-01-10 13:43

Not the handle itself, that is fine. Just the design of the knob or what ever it's called. Might be fine for bait fishing but for spinning metals it gets annoying

Shinka were your experiences

Sun, 2016-01-10 13:29

Shimka were your experiences with the FE model as I gather they've had a fair bit of an upgrade in 2015 over previous models?

No mine was the FD. The newer

Mon, 2016-01-11 13:52

No mine was the FD. The newer FE isn't upgraded internally, only external features (body & spool) have been supposedly upgraded. The same bearings are used inside the reel, there's just 1 less than the FD had. I do believe it was probably just a one off problem with the particular reel I had as the same type of bearings are used through the entire Shimano range but it's still enough to put me off that model altogether. I've had over 20 shimano reels & the Sedona is the only one I've had issues with.

devhay's picture

Date Joined: 27/10/14

I've got a 4000 for throwing

Mon, 2016-01-11 08:49

I've got a 4000 for throwing lures at tailor & salmon and its never skipped a beat, solid reel for the price

Was looking at this reel to

Thu, 2016-01-14 22:55

Was looking at this reel to replace a fin-nor Bahama that I'd lost in an incident with some other gear. Ended up getting a decent amount back so decided to leave the Sedona on shelf and took home a Stradic 5000fk instead. Super nice reel and definitely a few steps up on the Sedona! Thanks for all of your help. 

devhay's picture

Date Joined: 27/10/14

Definitely won't regret that

Fri, 2016-01-15 10:42

Definitely won't regret that choice! The Stradics are a solid reel for sure, enjoy!