Sounder Upgrade: Furuno FCV 295 vs Upgrading Existing Transduer on Garmin

Gents,

Going through the motions of a potential upgrade in sounder. Limited it down to 2 options being the purchase of a new sounder (Furuno FCV-295) or upgrading the transducer on my existing Garmin unit to 2KW. Both are relatively expensive options but the Garmin add on is far cheaper in the scheme of things.

Currently I run the full Garmin suite on my Boston Whaler 255. It consists of the Garmin Rader, Garmin 4210 Charts and GSD-22 sounder. My sounder has either a 500W or 1KW tranducer (I need to check). Main purpose of the upgrade is due to significant time spent deep sea fishing in the 450 meter range.

Have been out recently on friends boat with an FCV-295 which showed excellent clarity at that depth compared to my setup currently.

Thoughts welcome on these two specific sounders & comparison for my purpose above.

Cheers

John

wangler's picture

Date Joined: 26/04/08

Your answer is in

Fri, 2013-03-08 09:52

the 3rd sentence, you have seen it work and there is your proof.

Want to make someone mad... tell a lie! Want to get the world upset... tell the TRUTH !

Dougie

Date Joined: 29/05/08

That 3rd sentence you refer

Fri, 2013-03-08 22:26

That 3rd sentence you refer to is actually a paragraph.

just so you know :)

"Some  cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

wangler's picture

oops, sorry

Sat, 2013-03-09 08:16

I was wagging school that day 

Want to make someone mad... tell a lie! Want to get the world upset... tell the TRUTH !

Dougie

snuffs's picture

Date Joined: 06/08/12

Wangler, ? I haven't seen

Fri, 2013-03-08 15:59

Wangler, ? I haven't seen the Garmin with 2khz transducer . Hence the question......

wangler's picture

Ah, ok fair call

Fri, 2013-03-08 22:06

I can't comment on the Garmin with a 2kw

Dougie

snappermiles's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/10

there should be no question here

Fri, 2013-03-08 21:35

there is only one answer! im my opinion buy the 295 they cant be beaten! by anything in there price range

ALL FISHERMEN ARE LIARS EXCEPT YOU AND ME! AND IM NOT SO SURE ABOUT YOU!

The_Wanderer's picture

Date Joined: 24/09/08

Snuffs have you tried looking

Sat, 2013-03-09 22:11

Snuffs have you tried looking on the Hulltruth.com? they have heaps on info on Garmin and Whalers also try continuious wave they may have some more info. However I have seen the Furuno on 2 differnt boats and its awesome.

snuffs's picture

Date Joined: 06/08/12

thanks wanderer. you are spot

Mon, 2013-03-11 05:47

thanks wanderer. you are spot on. the hull truth was the way to go. great website with some very technically minded people with real experience with these products. have resolved many a problem on that website. thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated! cheers john