Steep Point Trip - September 2017

Hi all heading to steep point on the 3rd to 9th sep. Looking for another one or two people and another boat. Me and a few mates taking our two 4x4 rangers and my 5m runabout. Looking to drag another boat same size up. We got all gear, fridges, freezers, gennys etc. Let me know if ur interested. Work out finer details over a few beers. Cheers, Dan

Deckie's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/09

The track

Fri, 2017-05-26 19:29

I hope the track is in better condition for your trip than what it was last weekend.

Lots of prep needed for trailers & car.

Enjoy.

Cheers & Stay safe

Date Joined: 25/02/16

Man i'd love to come but got

Fri, 2017-05-26 12:40

Man i'd love to come but got Steep Point booked in for September next year!

Date Joined: 10/11/11

Hi Deckie how bad is the

Fri, 2017-05-26 20:51

Hi Deckie how bad is the track we are heading up next weekend did the ranger say when the grader is going back thru it?

Stax's picture

Date Joined: 05/02/10

I just got back. The first

Sat, 2017-05-27 07:53

I just got back. The first sand hill by the causway is very nasty. Not difficult to get up but very uneven. If you are towing you will need to walk your car up slowly.

Going down the other side is no better and again a slow but uneven easy drive. The second hill, two-way hill is a breeze and you will not even notice that you have reached the top.

Further in the track is just corrigated but not too hard.

The Useless loop road is fine all the way, some road works to slow down for them.

From the small causway crossing to the bottom of the first true sand hill is rough and boneshaking, 60kph was the sweet spot but thats quite quick for that part of the track and not easy to maintain with so many blind spots.

We ended up at about 40kph. 

Hope this helps.

Stax

Deckie's picture

Date Joined: 03/04/09

Agree.

Sat, 2017-05-27 09:16

As Stax has said, use the torque of your nehicle not speed. That first hill is ok untill you think its over towards the top, that is where you could come unstuck.

Going down the other side of that hill is ok but take note of it because you have to come up it on the way out, i think that was the worst one.

We did it ok in my Colorado towing a 4.0m tinnie but the section on the flats, as Stax said, was bone shaking & kidney rattling.

Talking to Paul the ranger, there was no plans yet to run the bar over the track as most of it belongs to the mining company & not the department.

We dropped our tyres to 25psi at the crossing for the corrugated section, 40-60kph  & then down to 16psi for the "Hill". 

Hope this adds to the info so far. Make sure your vehicle & what ever you tow in is in good nick.

I double nutted everything with nyloc nuts, strap down everything tight & check it again before you do the sand hills, we had a few things come loose but no damage.

The weather we had was the type you would order for the trip, "Perfect" sums it up. I hope you have the same.

Good luck & enjoy.

Rob

Cheers & Stay safe

Date Joined: 10/11/11

thanks rob & stax for that i

Mon, 2017-05-29 13:02

thanks rob & stax for that i am going to drive the boat accross from denham but getting a mate to take the car in, might be better to leave that at denhem but the weather forecast for the crossing on Sunday looks average so might be better not to overload the boat.

Date Joined: 22/07/10

Heading there in a couple of

Wed, 2018-09-05 07:47

Heading there in a couple of weeks hope all goes well. cheers for the advice

Date Joined: 28/11/17

yeah i am up there from the

Wed, 2018-09-05 13:07

yeah i am up there from the 17th so good to know where the track isnt great.  First hill has always been a bit rough so good to be prepared!

Long range weather forecasting is predicting 28 for the 16th/17th but not sure how accurate that is

What was the weather like when you were there?

Cheers,

Date Joined: 22/07/10

I'll be there 28th mate was

Thu, 2018-09-06 20:43

I'll be there 28th mate was warm n windy this time last year only had 2 days out of 8 days to fish. Hoping for better luck this time