Suzuki DF200 engine stall

My Suzuki DF200 had its first abnormal problem since I've purchased the boat. It has 250 hours on the clock and was serviced late last year about 60 hours ago. I was 40 kms from shore and decided to reposition the boat for our last drift. It started fine, put it in gear and started moving at around 2500 rpm. I slowly incresed the revs to around 3500 and the engine stalled. It took a few turns of the key but it started again and managed to put the boat in the spot I wanted. Finished the drift, packed up the gear and it was time to head home. I was feeling a little anxious at this stage as we were a long way out from the ramp and knowing that the motor stalled I was praying that it was just a one off occurance. It started fine and off we went with the motor revving at around 3000 rpm. I then ramped it up further to around 4500 rpm and everything was fine. Within about a minute or so it stalled again and the boat came to a sudden stop. Now I was really worried. I turned the key and it started again and no more issues for the rest of the trip back to the ramp with the motor eventually sitting on around 5000 rpm. 

Has anyone enountered any similar problem before and more so with a Suzuki engine? Like I said before it has never missed a beat and the rest of the trip home I was up and down on the throttle at different stages and all went well. Maybe air in the line or dirty fuel? Any comments would be appreciated.

Date Joined: 19/08/13

fuel

Wed, 2016-06-15 04:46

Def a fuel issue, check all fuel lines and filters, have you got a water seperator on the bottom of your inline filter if not get one. 

North Coast Marine's picture

Date Joined: 23/05/16

Diagnosis

Wed, 2016-06-15 07:02

I would say clogged fuel filter or faulty fuel pump, PM sent 

Date Joined: 23/04/13

Sounds like it was dropping

Wed, 2016-06-15 08:05

Sounds like it was dropping fuel rail pressure - there are a number of reasons for it how ever for a starting point would be look up my post about the VST (Vapour Separating tank), the small high pressure pump in the VST  has a screen which can get a Gel substance over it it.. But I would say the the fuel bulb primer might have been collapsing due the check valve sticking starving the engine of fuel or has previously suggested a kinked fuel line.

gunner

z00m's picture

Date Joined: 10/05/14

Fuel issues

Wed, 2016-06-15 08:14

Check the basics first like hose quality, fuel filters, fuel quality and primer bulb pressure when it happens. Also check the breather pipe is working correctly.

Then you can start looking at worse problems like the one described in fishwrecked.com/forum/df-140-suzuki-surging-issue 

Edit: that is gunner's post above.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

yep,as said beforefirst

Wed, 2016-06-15 16:53

yep,as said before

first thing when something like this happens, straight away grab fuel bulb and see if its flat.
If its not pump it anyway, that will help narrow it down to

1/ if its fuel

2/ if its before or after the bulb

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Date Joined: 29/10/12

Thanks for all the responses

Wed, 2016-06-15 20:27

Thanks for all the responses so far.

As far as I know they changed the fuel filter during the last service. The fuel bulb primer wasn't flat as that's the first thing I checked after it stalled. 

The motor is still currently under warranty so I'm not sure how much that will help. What surprises me though is that after the event of the stall I travelled 40 plus kms back to the ramp at various throttle settings without it missing a beat and averaging 30 knots.

Boydy's picture

Date Joined: 26/09/12

Get it downloaded it will

Wed, 2016-06-15 20:38

Get it downloaded it will show up.
The old man had a very similar thing happen with his 140 zuk in warranty. There was a factory service news that applied to what was found (electrical) and carried out.
Was about 2 years ago now and hasn't done it again.

Will do!

Wed, 2016-06-15 20:46

Yeah I think I'll give All Boats a call and get them to have a look at it instead of wasting endless time for no reason. Cheers for the info.

Date Joined: 23/04/13

Hey Kuzi - any chance you

Wed, 2016-06-15 20:39

Hey Kuzi - any chance you keep everyone updated if or when they find something. Good to close the loop on these things.

Of course!

Wed, 2016-06-15 20:47

Will post what the outcome was when I get around to having it looked at. 

ranmar850's picture

Date Joined: 12/08/12

make sure you are not sucking air.

Thu, 2016-06-16 18:42

make sure all your fittings are tight--they might not leak fuel at rest, but will suck air, whch will build upuntil performance suffers. This happened to my F115, and I couldn't find the problem--turns out there was a bad join inside the flex hose that neatly bundles all the wiring, canbles, fuel line, etc. I didn't know there was a join in there.

Fuel/Water separator filter

Tue, 2016-07-26 13:58

Looks like the filter was the culprit well at least that's what they think it could be as couldn't fault the engine. ECU didn't log any faults either. Cheers for all the input fellas.