twin 200's vs single 300

hi I'm currently running a single 300 and I'm thinking of going to twin 200's. Both four strokes and on a 26 proline We are doing massive miles and normally have 4 people on board plus all the gear.

I dunno weather I'm gonna gain or loose. Can anyone shed some light on the pro's and cons on these set ups?

Thank you

Karratha. WA

outdoinit's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/12

Hey Pricey I hear you mate

Fri, 2014-10-31 08:51

I run a 300 Suzi on a 7.6mtr Ali Stagg, but a mate has a 8mtr Ali Stagg and runs 2 x 225 yammies.

We have done quite a few fishing trips together and over all he only uses approximately 10% more fuel than me..

Considering he's boat is 400mm longer and 200mm wider I think that is good economy for he's boat..

This time last year we done a trip to the Montes.. See Link.. Link not working, Just type "Back from the Montes" in the search field.. 

On the trip across fully loaded + 3.7mtr dingy and outboard on board I had to run at approx 5300+ rpm to get a  decent plane and speed, where as Pete was only doing at max 3500 rpm for same speed..

so as for your question are you going to win or lose??

2 motors to buy up front, 2 motors to service.. (My last service was $390, Pete's last one just under $1k)

Extra weight on the back..

if I were to build another boat of similar size I think I would still stick with the single donk, maybe just up the hp??

hope this helps..

I've spent half my life fishing.. The other half I have wasted.. 

Date Joined: 08/01/09

2 motors have the safety factor

Fri, 2014-10-31 06:36

you could troll with just 1 motor going and leave the other turned off. You can adjust your trim to suit conditions better with 2 motors. But, as above with cost. In saying that, never had 2 many dramas running 1 outboard.

FEEEISH ONNN!!!

pricey10's picture

Date Joined: 07/01/12

thanks guys 

Fri, 2014-10-31 07:59

thanks guys 

Karratha. WA

Date Joined: 18/01/12

along with what Lyndon says

Fri, 2014-10-31 08:19

along with what Lyndon says above, many of the outboards in the size range 200 and up are the same engine remapped or bored out so a similar weight, the 200 Yam being a good exception.

So you'd need to select carefully to avoid double the weight.

I have twin DF115 on my boat and love them especially for the backup factor at the Abrolhos with kids on board.

The generally accepted fuel/drag penalty is in the region of 15% but much depends on how the twins are propped.

If anything they should be a little under propped to allow running on a single outboard without bogging it to the hilt, but this loses a little of the top end.

Mine will plane on one without a load but loaded you are stuck with 8-10 knots as it wont get over the hump.

Id also go single but with facility to put on a decent aux (15-20hp, just for those remote trips) to at least allow getting back to shelter or one of the islands-ANYTHING, no matter how reliable can breakdown

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

tot's picture

Date Joined: 31/01/10

Hi Rob

Fri, 2014-10-31 14:17

Do you think you would be able to use both motors to get on the plane then turn one off and still be good? have often wondered if its possible when I have seen twin rigs.

Reverse cycle a/c supply and install - Ducted and wall splits

Date Joined: 18/01/12

yeah you can but at the

Fri, 2014-10-31 14:26

yeah you can but at the moment mine has 14x21" props which are perfect on both, getting 5800 flatout.

But on one if you turn off the wind (or start off with both) and get on the plane it will only get to a little over 4000 and 22knot WOT which is definitely not good for it.

With a spare 14x19 prop it would pop up much easier.

If you cant plane its about 10 knots no matter how much throttle.

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

solly's picture

Date Joined: 11/09/05

I would go with two

Fri, 2014-10-31 13:02

Considering the distances we go to get to some of the grounds up here Im sorry I took the twins off and went with a 250. With fuel issues we get up here some times I have had a few issues and having a second donk might have been contaiminated as well but I run separate tanks so there is a chance I could have saved the situation. Two donks means piece of mind.

There are two types of people ,do'ers and watchers
Right now the do'ers are the doing it
And the watchers are watching us do it