Which drum winch for a 670c Barcrusher

Can anyone confirm that a 300mm drum winch will fit in a 670 Barcrusher? I'm away with work and I want to order one so that it is ready for when I get home but obviously don't want to end up with the wrong one...

Also anyone care to help me decide from the following or offer any other options?? Must be power up/down, capable of 100m+ of 8mm rope, high quality and reliable without being crazy expensive and preferably australian made...

I think I want to go with the Stressfree as its the most popular and the BC already has the standard Stressfree fitting...

Lonestar GX3 1500w, 5 year waranty $1750

Stressfree MIDI 1400w 3 year waranty $1640

Savwinch 1500w 7 year waranty $2190

Micks Winch ????w 3 year waranty $1750

Tuff Winch 1000w 5 year waranty $1380

(ebay prices as they are easy to use for comparison)

Cheers

Winta

NEVER PUSH YOUR GRANNY WHEN SHE'S SHAVING

Date Joined: 10/06/09

I think.the lonestar gx2

Sat, 2016-09-03 07:12

I think.the lonestar gx2 will suit you it holds just over 100mtrs with some chain and only 1350

getting the bottom line final answer from a bunch of blokes that use false names and put smiley faces at the end of paragraphs is not the best place in the world to get the information you seek.

t bone's picture

Date Joined: 20/04/14

:)

Sat, 2016-09-03 10:31

I was looking at the lonestar gear for my 730 barcrusher. emailed them a few questions and they seems rather helpful & quick to reply which is good signs.

Keen to follow what others thing also :)

Date Joined: 26/08/16

drum winch

Sat, 2016-09-03 11:10

I have the stressfree mini on my Mako Cat, I would definately pay the extra $ for freefall capability, power down is pretty slow on my winch. ( I have freefall)

Date Joined: 23/11/09

And

Sat, 2016-09-03 14:13

Hi tech marine in Wangara are agents for lone star.  Same prices as on the net too.

Thumbs up from for lone star from me.

Date Joined: 29/03/13

G'dayTake a good look at

Sat, 2016-09-03 14:14

G'day

Take a good look at Mick's winches, real quality throughout.  And numbers quoted are real quality numbers not those dreamed up in a china or the marketing dept

Cheers

Rod

Carry's picture

Date Joined: 22/04/09

lonestar

Sat, 2016-09-03 16:20

i installed a lonestar gx3 on my 6.8m bayshore aluminium pretty happy with it but if i had my time again i would go the freefall option.

We feel nothing but a certain difficulty in continuing to stand 

Date Joined: 30/12/09

I've got the stress free

Sat, 2016-09-03 17:47

I've got the stress free with the free fall and it hasn't let me down. I mounted mine on top of the bow and not in the anchor well. You just have to make sure the anchor will fall of freely once you put it frees pool. 

Get busy living, or get busy dying!

My stress free, although 10

Sat, 2016-09-03 19:41

My stress free, although 10 years old had little use in a boat that had done only 200 hours

The electric motor packed up, getting it apart was a nightmare with a lot of corrosion due to steel bolts.  I took it to mick workshop, he replaced the motor with one of his italian motors.   I got to see how his are put together.  All staintless fasteners etc.   He was going to do some more maintenance on the gearbox for me while tje winch was out of the boat, but it was deemed impractical because of the rust on the fasteners, the likelyhood of snapping them of was highly likely.   Very surprsiing lack of quality and foresight in marine environment 

Soon aftr the solenoid packed up and that was replaced with a british made one from Mick's

Hopefully the gearbox will last, Mick said that is good quality

The motor mick supplied I think is 1500 watts but more powerful than a 2000 what drum winch I fitted to my previous boat

Cheers

Rod

BarraSlayer's picture

Date Joined: 14/04/14

Have you considered spot lock

Sat, 2016-09-03 21:44

Have you considered spot lock on electric motor? It is very good and easy to stop ontop of fish

Cheers
BarraSlayer

mrwinta's picture

Date Joined: 14/01/10

to be honest no I haven't

Sun, 2016-09-04 01:38

to be honest no I haven't but I need to replace the rope and anchor anyway hence the need (want) for a winch...

mrwinta's picture

Sun, 2016-09-04 02:04

Thanks for the replies-

I would love to get the MIDI NG (freefall) but as money doesn't grow on trees, shelling out another 700 bucks just for ff makes it way out of my budget. Besides I have another boat associated project that would get shut down swiftly if the boss found out I had spent so much on something she doesn't benefit from- obviously she has never pulled the anchor up!

Micks Winch certainly does get some great reviews and I haven't noticed a single negative comment while searching. His gear is a definatley strong contender..

I looked a bit harder at the Lone Star GX series and I do really like the way it has a manual deploy system for emergencies. They offer a 5 year waranty and I also like that they can supply everything from winch to wiring loom and all the other extras (bow roller, chain sock, rope etc). 

I have read many comments from guys who regretted not fitting the largest drum possible as it slows the lower/lift speed when the spool empties so I think I am fairly set on the LSM GX3

Please keep commenting and I am still unsure if I can fit the 300mm drum in my well so if anyone can confirm they do fit the BC670c that would be awesome.

I will email HiTech Marine and ask for their oppinion and a quote..

Cheers

spinksy's picture

Date Joined: 06/10/10

Lonestar

Sun, 2016-09-04 12:41

I did all the research and they deploy and retrieve very quick these days. Got the winch wiring and all the bits for the same price as a stressfree winch only. Great bit of gear.

mrwinta's picture

LSM

Mon, 2016-09-05 00:01

Yeah mate they seem to be good value compared to SF who also seem to have way more nagative comments than the LS winch... for the amount of anchoring I do in 25-30m+ I can't justify the extra 700 bucks to save 20 seconds or so..

Other things you may or may

Sun, 2016-09-04 12:45

Other things you may or may not have considered.  Excuse me if these are obvious

1.  Rope size.  Our boat is around 2.5t in the water and as with our previous boat I have used 8mm braided rope.  Stretching the memory but I reckon I got most of the 150m on with about 10m 8mm short link.  As you mentioned, drum size is important so your not enduring the teadiously slow in out speed when near the shaft.  Perhaps consider 6mm for your boat.  I've never used that small and doing anything by hand is out.  But it would give more rope at the bigger diameter.  Depends how deep you fish

I picked up 2 x 150m over the last 3 years, pretty sure I got them here http://wholesalefishingsupplies.com.au/8mm-x-150m-double-braid-nylon-anchor-rope-great-for-drum-winches-super-strong/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3kvnNIz9JpfakED2YY0iGIU93QncZ9XqEzRwUlxpNEQaAnzY8P8HAQ

Their on ebay also

2.  I use the chain sock, tricky to get on but much nicer on the ears.  I leave about a metre of bare chain before the anchor which gives an visual and audible announcement the that the anchor is arriving.  They come up pretty quick when the drums full.

3.  Only use tinned wire and go larger rather than smaller.  Do the connections so they last forever.  I bought a hydraulic crimper of ebay, I think I soldered them as well on the one I did before my current boat.  I also used head shrink with silicone under as well, a bit over the top.  

4.  Get the widest roller you can get, I've installed the ones that are almost 200mm wide.  Makes for better lay

5.  If you use grapnel anchors over there in the west, Micks winch sells a stainless spring arrangement, fantastic, seems unbreakable pushes the anchor on dropping, and gives a nice cushion instead of the SLAM in to the bow sprit on the way back up

CHeers

Rod

mrwinta's picture

Good points- especialy #4 -

Sun, 2016-09-04 23:53

Good points- especialy #4 - thats the sort of thind I wouldn't have known.  

I looked at the spring system from MW and thats a great idea! I'm going to get a mooloolaba pick so I will remember that..

jarrid's picture

Date Joined: 20/08/10

fishwrecked.com/forum/drum-a

Mon, 2016-09-05 06:37
mrwinta's picture

Great post, I read it during

Wed, 2016-09-07 00:42

Great post, I read it during my search... It was you post that drew my attention to LSM.. glad you're still happy with it..

NORUN NOFUN's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/11

If your keen on the stress

Mon, 2016-09-05 07:38

If your keen on the stress free why would you not email them and ask the questions you need answered or even bc themselves as these are a standard fit ?
Not having a go, just being logical, in my head anyway haha

mrwinta's picture

Mon, 2016-09-05 22:00

I have emailed Stressfree and Lonestar- just haven't had a reply yet and I thought there might be someone on here who had fitted one themselves- also trying to gather unbiased oppinions...

I was trying to avoid contacting BC as I have had lengthy dealings with them in the past

NORUN NOFUN's picture

Date Joined: 15/08/11

fair call

Tue, 2016-09-06 12:18

fair call

bleicester's picture

Date Joined: 10/09/14

Bell Marine - Viper Pro

Tue, 2016-09-06 12:56

Another option?? I haven't any experience with these but thought someone on here might have...

www.bellmarine.com.au/boating-accessories/anchor-winch-kits/viper-pro-series-ii-1000-anchor-winch-bundle-submersible-ss-motor-6mm-100m-dbraid-rope/

Error 404

Fish not found

mrwinta's picture

They have been on the radar

Wed, 2016-09-07 00:47

They have been on the radar for a while as they look like great value as a package but  I saw one on a boat and gave a cheeky pull to the rope and it slipped so that kind of put me off.... I know the wheel and worm gear box shouldn't allow that to happen so it might have been the rope on the spool slipping or just not wound very tight, but all the same I was a bit discoraged.

I am also trying to do my bit and keep it Aus made...

mrwinta's picture

Rope

Wed, 2016-09-07 01:02

What is anyones experience with using 6mm double braid- would that be strong enough for a 6.7m ali (aprox 1.5 ton) if I used 10-20m of 10mm polyester for stretch? LSM emailed me back saying that would be fine - not that I am doubting them just 6mm seems un-naturaly thin...

G'dayIf you get double braid

Wed, 2016-09-07 06:04

G'day

If you get double braid I think the 6mm has a breaking strain of around 1000kg.  Plenty unless you want to crane it out of the water with the anchor rope :-)

What max depth of water are the areas you fish?

Cheers

Rod

Date Joined: 10/06/09

Can get 5mm dyneema  rated

Wed, 2016-09-07 15:50

Can get 5mm dyneema  rated at 2000kg 

But its expensive 

getting the bottom line final answer from a bunch of blokes that use false names and put smiley faces at the end of paragraphs is not the best place in the world to get the information you seek.