100 series landcruiser exhaust upgrade

sorry about this non fishing related post!

i have a 100 series 4.7ltr petrol cruiser and i want to get a bit better fuel economy out of it!

i was looking at putting the whole kit on extractors and 3 inch stainless but i have been quoted around the 3 g mark

i also got a quote for a cat back system so from the cat all in stainless 3 inch at 1050

has anybody done any of these conversions and would you be able to pass on any info???

or do you no a good place to get it done?

cheers jeff

ALL FISHERMEN ARE LIARS EXCEPT YOU AND ME! AND IM NOT SO SURE ABOUT YOU!

Date Joined: 02/01/12

snappermiles?

Mon, 2012-01-16 18:15

try TT Auto in canningvale. they have done fair bit of work for me in the past. work quality is second to none, and are reasonably priced on most. worth a phone call. they do get involved in some performance related work. their no is 94552359, Ben or Willy.

Dont do it today... if your going to regret it tomorrow !!

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

exhausts aren't cheap mate

Mon, 2012-01-16 18:24

exhausts aren't cheap mate regardless what it's going on, if you've got the cash get a piggy back ECU and get a tune done as well, at least your getting full value for your parts. I'm in the same boat and will be getting it done when i am in Perth in March.

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

Date Joined: 30/12/09

snappermiles sounds a bit

Mon, 2012-01-16 20:01

snappermiles sounds a bit expensive as i have been checking out getting a fuel chip and a new 3 inch exhaust for my 200 series and the chip was about $1400 and a new exhaust was around the same price without the replacing the cat system and to replace it was only an extra 400 from memory. that was from either DP chips or chip it. 

Get busy living, or get busy dying!

snappermiles's picture

Date Joined: 05/11/10

yeh i cant get a chip because its petrol

Mon, 2012-01-16 20:08

but bruce has put me onto a piggy back ecu system that looks the goods

smash's picture

Date Joined: 01/12/10

stainless steel?

Mon, 2012-01-16 22:19

Do you really need a SS exhaust? Try Beaudesert (I think) and have a look on Ebay, theres (I think) REdback?

For my 100TD it was $800 fit yourself for a full 3", not SS.

My 100 is 7 years old, 240,000k's, standard mild steel exhaust and doesnt even look like coroding.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-100-SERIES-4-7LT-V8-EXTRACTORS-HIGH-FLOW-CATS-3-EXHAUST-/150730214221?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318388b4d

Thats including extractors and cats or 1400 with straight thru.

Mr Bigalow's picture

Date Joined: 11/12/11

the only way to get better

Mon, 2012-01-16 22:41

the only way to get better fuel economy is to pull a couple of spark plugs!!

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

fishintruckie's picture

Date Joined: 22/07/08

I had Midland Exhaust put a

Mon, 2012-01-16 23:39

I had Midland Exhaust put a 3" mandrel bent system on my 06 Patrol for $800, again its not stainless I couldnt see the value in it. 6yrs on and there is no rust on it at all. Stainless is over rated.

snappermiles's picture

stainless

Tue, 2012-01-17 06:53

i thought i would get stainless because i do a fair bit of beach launching and thought it would last longer!

Date Joined: 03/10/11

I don't know why I'm

Tue, 2012-01-17 07:32

I don't know why I'm bothering with this considering your attitude towards me snapper but seeing I was an exhaust fitter for the best part of 8yrs I know a thing or two about this stuff. Your not going to get any extra mileage simply by changing only the exhaust, you'd only be wasting money you could spend on more petrol. You need to do the extractors or the piggy back ecu to get any difference at all I'm afraid & even then your only talking a small increase, usually 2-5mpg.

snappermiles's picture

to clear it up my attitude wasnt towards you

Tue, 2012-01-17 07:55

it was towards your post! this site is about knowledge sharing and giving a bloke a few tips to fishing on the beach isnt going to kill your catch rate! unless you cant fish in the first place! so thankyou for your knowledge!

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Stainless

Tue, 2012-01-17 07:34

The amount of rust you would get from beach launchings is bugger all and certainly not enough to install a stainless system. I used to do pro salmon fishing with the ute on the beach and in the water launching the dinghies for months and never even looked like rusting the pipes.

Extractors will make a difference as will the bigger system but would suggest a good tune up to go with it.

snappermiles's picture

cheers guys for the info!!

Tue, 2012-01-17 07:56

i will look a little further into it! and not worry about the stainless! thanks

Brucesta's picture

Date Joined: 29/05/09

from what i've reserched

Tue, 2012-01-17 08:10

from what i've reserched don't go expecting HUGE improvements like our deisel brother seem to get either, as Graham has pointed out a slight improvement in economy and power/torque maybe 10% if we're lucky, depends on what you want i'm looking at economy so if i can get her down to 13l/100kms standard driving and whatever with the boat on the back then be able to tow comfortably at 100km/h i'll be stoked.

Las Vegas - Rolling the dice and trying your luck. 1M+ Barra summer target. 100kg Black Marlin winter target

Joodles's picture

Date Joined: 19/11/10

Mate I had extractors and a

Tue, 2012-01-17 08:26

Mate I had extractors and a 2/12" high flow exhaust system fitted to my non turbo diesel 100. It made no difference to fuel economy but a little better off the mark. I was advised against SS as they tend to crack if collected by a stick or rock more so than standard. What did make a difference to my fuel economy though was servicing the injectors. Money well spent in my opinion. 

Sorry mate..blah blah, yes realized yours is petrol. The opinion is the same on the SS I suppose!

Date Joined: 03/10/11

Your on the money there

Tue, 2012-01-17 09:01

Your on the money there Joodles, though it still takes a bloody good whack to crack a ss system. Keeping injectors clean & spraying evenly makes as big a difference as anything else, doesn't matter if it's petrol or diesel. Changing the air filter & spark plugs at the recommended intervals & making sure the plugs are gapped correctly will also help maintain good economy. Platinum plugs & a good quality set of leads can sometimes make a difference. A washable foam air filter is a good investment to as the air filter often gets clogged up with sand quickly when driving on the beach & that will obviously effect economy & performance.

Date Joined: 27/12/06

exhaust

Tue, 2012-01-17 10:26

snapper I just got mine done last week although on a different car but it might give you an idea.  4.2L diesel GQ patrol I got pacemaker extractors and 2.5 exhaust with lukey ss muffler.  Aparrently the ss is alot better when it comes to mufflers as they last longer.  This all cost $1400 fitted at Carline Malaga based on that I reckon $3000 is a bit expensive

It definately breathed some life into my old girl plus my exhaust had a leak previously that made the floor so hot I could have a cooked breakfast if I threw some sausages and eggs on the floor while driving to my early morning tailor spot lol.

Fuel economy I dont know if it made a huge difference but I think there is some time will tell but definately better power which is useful to me.  I towed my boat up to port gregory on the weekend and it towed alot nicer and cooler but the headwind I copped coming back yesterday killed the fuel economy.

When I used to have commodores I fitted extractors and exhausts to them, I cant remember a much fuel saving but definately more power

Date Joined: 24/02/11

Exhaust

Tue, 2012-01-17 16:28

Have 3 inch mantra exhaust and chip on 2003 patrol was on there when I bought it so don't know any different but mate drove it last week he's got new patrol and said it shits all over his and fuel about the same