2009 DF140 Blinking oil light won't reset

The oil light for my 2009 Suzuki DF140 start to flash the other day to alert me that it was due for the 500hr service. After I done the service I went through the motions of reseting the flashing light using the killswitch but the light wouldnt reset. After I having a few goes at it I realised that the killswitch wasn't working so Im assuming that this is why the light won't reset. Activating the killswitch doesn't shut down the motor and the motor still starts with the kill switch activated.

I opened up the control box to check the connections to the killswitch and they are all fine. There's a black earth wire and a green ignition wire running to the switch, grounding the ignitiom should stop the motor. I tested the black earth wire to make sure it has a good connection to ground and its fine. I also ran a wire from the netagive terminal of the battery to the green ignition wire to bypass the killswitch and ground the ignition that way just to test it, doing this didn't shutdown the motor and the motor still starts. Has anyone on here had this issue before? Its seems wierd but no doubt im missing something fairly obvious. Ill talk to the suzuki dealer on Monday but id thought id ask the question on here aswell because it is driving me crazy.

Date Joined: 18/01/12

I’m not at home and don’t

Sun, 2018-11-11 09:19

I’m not at home and don’t have the drawings in front of me, but suggest trying whether the “start in gear” protection is working or not also.

Likely this is on the same circuit and may narrow down where the issue is? 

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

Scotte's picture

Date Joined: 07/12/06

Yes as above.Sounds like

Sun, 2018-11-11 13:05

Yes as above.

Sounds like your half way there to narrowing it down.

I'd look at the neutral switch next .

Let us know how ya go

troya's picture

Date Joined: 11/05/11

Its doesnt start in gear so

Sun, 2018-11-11 13:53

Its doesnt start in gear so there's no issue there. My main concern is that the oil light is flashing for another reason other that the service being due. The plot thickens, ill talk to the suzuki dealer tomorrow. 

Date Joined: 18/01/12

If its for the service, from

Sun, 2018-11-11 21:03

If its for the service, from memory it is 2 flashes, 2 flashes and only beeps when key is turned on.

Anything else I think is another fault, and it will be in a code.
google the code

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

troya's picture

I spoke the a Suzuki outboard

Mon, 2018-11-12 14:14

I spoke the a Suzuki outboard mechanic today, Murray from Mandurah motor marine. He was also convinced that it must be the kill switch. I tested the kill switch earlier by hooking it up the battery and running a test light in the circuit, the switch worked so I am eliminating the kill switch and looking elsewhere, I am also eliminating the black earth wire because I've proven a good connection there.

What I did just figure out is that there is no power at to the green ignition wire at the kill switch and also at the ignition switch when the ignition is in the on position. I think this is the cause of the problem. Now I just need find the bad connection. Theres a lot or wires running into that motor and im also colour blind so this could be beyond my expertise.

troya's picture

All fixed. I found a small

Mon, 2018-11-12 17:25

All fixed. I found a small cut in the wiring harness about halfway along the gunnel, the green ignition wire was severed. Looks like some idiot hit it with a drill bit when they were installing a drink holder, that idiot was me. 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Lol don't worry I think

Mon, 2018-11-12 21:00

Lol don't worry I think we've all been there and done something similar. Thankfully an easy fix and well done on finding it.

Love the West!

Scotte's picture

Date Joined: 07/12/06

Good outcome then buddy 

Mon, 2018-11-12 20:34

Good outcome then buddy