587 to 750s

Hi guys i've just purchased a 587 furuno sounder and was wondering if you are able to hook it up to a garmin 750s to transfer waypoint info any feed back would be great.

Date Joined: 21/02/08

More in search, but the quick

Wed, 2013-05-22 07:44

More in search, but the quick answer is no.

JohnF's picture

Date Joined: 07/07/10

Mate, I have this combo on my

Wed, 2013-05-22 07:51

Mate, I have this combo on my boat, it had the 750 (actually 740 US model but identical) and installed the 587 myself. Hooked up the NMEA0183 communicatins between the Furuno, Garmin 740, Vesselview (which controls the motor) and the VHF radio which has DCS etc. All communications worked perfectly, except.......

Furuno uses a strange language TLL, that no other make uses and even some of the other Furnuno GPS's dont use.....so, which the Garmin will transfer GPS data to the Furuno, and the Furuno will transfer depth data back to the Garmin OK, the Furuno will NOT transfer GPS data back to the Garmin. So, if you hit the MARK button on the Furuno over an interesting lump after you go past it, tjhe Furuno will record the GPS position in its memory (only 10 spots in the Furuno memory.....) but it will not transfer that GPS data back to the Garmin, no matter what you do (there was a bloke on here who claimed to have an electronic "babel" translator, but he never returned my PM's). This is the same for other GPS's such as Lowrance, Raymarine.....it will only talk to other selected Furuno GPS's, and Furuno GPS's are generally pretty ordinary.  

So, you can either transfer the GPS point manually from the Furuno to the Garmin (painful) or do what I do and run a separate 600 W transducer on the Garmin, and you can then run split screen on the Garmin and mark GPS points oj the Garmn sounder screen which transfer perfectly into the Garmin GPS.

Attached a few photos showing final install, NMEA wiring and wiring diagram. PM if you need any more detail.

Boston Whaler 235 Conquest......getting the flogging it was built for.

dkonig82's picture

Date Joined: 06/07/10

Dash has come up sweet John!

Wed, 2013-05-22 10:07

Dash has come up sweet John!

When asked by a non-fisherman 'how many fishing rods do you really need?' the correct answer is either:

n+1 (where n is the number of fishing rods you currently own); or

n-1 (where n is the number of fishing rods which would cause your significant other to dump you. 

sea-kem's picture

Date Joined: 30/11/09

Clear as mud lol.

Wed, 2013-05-22 07:54

Clear as mud lol.

Love the West!

Rick's picture

Date Joined: 22/12/06

great reply john

Wed, 2013-05-22 08:21

that instal looks very tidy

PGFC Member

ginod's picture

Date Joined: 14/05/13

thanks for all the replys

Wed, 2013-05-22 11:35

thanks for all the replys going to fit the 587 and have a crack.