Abu Garcia Mag HS 7000IC3 Round Ambassadeur Baitcast Reel

Hey everyone;

I am looking to aquire the ABU for my WAFT Garrick 14ft - light / meduim - 3oz / 5oz outfit.

I have read quite a few reviews worldwide and this reel has only received great write ups!!

Who on the forum has one and what are your experiance with this reel? Especially when talking about casting ability and if the level wind is really that necessary on the reel?? I would most probably take the entire inner frame out and replace with a black wiffle spool / or keep std and replace with a std ABU non level wind inner frame spool. 

Cheers

Every day at the Beach is a Good day!

Image Upload: 

cudbfishn's picture

Date Joined: 06/04/09

level wind will only shorten

Sat, 2011-10-29 11:16

level wind will only shorten your distance. and more moving parts to break. I havent used this reel but you cant really go wrong with the abu. Make sure you get carbon drag washers, Im pretty sure they do now but all the older non carbon drags are weak as piss. easily upgraded but. I just purchaced a new penn fathom star drag had to get it from the us as I couldnt find one in aus yet. Extremely nice. Take a look at these. 25lb of drag and 3 min spin time out of the box.

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=6394.0

Blue Whaler's picture

Date Joined: 05/10/10

that fathom looks sweet!

Sat, 2011-10-29 16:54

that fathom looks sweet!

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Abu 7000

Sat, 2011-10-29 13:42

You cannot go wrong using an Abu 7000, or if you can get hold of one a 10.000ca for the bigger line capacity and two speed.

The line leveller does very little to slow the cast down and if you are new to using one at night stops you winding line on the spool lopsided. Never had to upgrade the drag on any Abu overhead I've owned  and they've got hundreds of big fish that have been smoked up on lots of occassions.

Blue Whaler's picture

done deal - I will be

Sat, 2011-10-29 16:55

done deal - I will be aquiring me ABU - thks Carnarvonite!

cudbfishn's picture

I had a 7000c3 and I could

Sat, 2011-10-29 13:58

I had a 7000c3 and I could always cast further with my penn 525 without the levelwind. The 7000 went from about 5kgs of drag to 10kg with the carbontex drag washers best thing I did with that reel. I also had a 6000 that I had to eventually take the levelwind out of because the pawl kept wearing out and getting stuck on one side and was sick of replacing it. The Mag HS has a carbon drag so it should be sweet it also has centrifugaul and mag breaking so will be great casting into a wind.

Blue Whaler's picture

I have purchased the

Thu, 2011-11-03 10:26

I have purchased the ABU Ambassadeur 7000i - now for the fun. Ordered my conversion kit from Blakdog tackle UK. Hopefully will have this up en running before I leave abroad next week. Will post a complete pre - and post of this sucker. I have also ordered the mag distance casting sideplate from them - this baby is going to get me close to the 170mt mark!!!!

cudbfishn's picture

Nice one. Looking forward to

Thu, 2011-11-03 21:08

Nice one. Looking forward to the pics.