Bluewater Metro Fishing Report 06/10/2017

Fishing Report
Bluewater Tackle World
Friday 6th of October 2017

Customer Kristian with a thumping dhufish

What fishing have you been doing? We would love to hear about it. (email customerservice@bluewater.net.au.) . Here is what we have been doing, as well as what we have already heard:

Bream are schooling in the Canning so if you find one, there will be more. Once the weather starts heating up, we will be able to target bream with hard bodies far more effectively as they become more aggressive. In the meantime, using soft plastic grubs remains one the most effective ways to target them.

Some of our staff and customers alike have been getting into tailor as they harass bait balls in the lower reaches of the river.  Trolling along the drop offs can provide hours of fun for the whole family or for the more accomplished angler, ultra-light spin gear will provide great top-water fun.  If it’s bigger tailor you’re after, customers have been reporting getting into good numbers of fish all over the 50cm mark along the beaches, in the Yanchep area.

We have had reports of some good-sized mulloway being taken around Mosmans. This is common this time of year, due to the mulloway’s spawning habits. Plenty of good mullies have also come from Yanchep, Moore River and Wilbinga in the last week.

Locally, there have been plenty of squid around and land based fishos have got their fair share. The majority have been small but it shouldn’t take too long to weed through them and get into some bigger models. Further South, Busselton Jetty has been hit and miss, but some anglers have managed to bag out.

Plenty of very big dhufish up to 20kg have been landed in the last week as anglers heading out have been keen to get their dhufish fix before the ban. The usual suspects have also made up some of the bags such as good sized breaksea cod and particularly good sized baldies especially North of the river.

Customer Julian and a very respectable dhufish from the kayak

While the ban in Cockburn and Warnbro Sounds has started, anglers can still enjoy the remarkable snapper fishery, if you fish outside these areas. Snapper up to and including that magic meter mark being caught out from Hillarys, Ocean reef and Mindarie on a mixture of soft plastics and bait. Come into any of our four stores and have a chat with our friendly staff about the best way to target these monsters.

Myaree staff member Jeremy also wanted to have a bit of input in this week’s fishing report and he is no novice when it comes to targeting demersals.

“ 10 Days…..

The amount of time we all have left before the demersal season is over, so if you haven’t had your fix of a good old demersal fish then now is the time. For those that have had plenty of chances to target demersals perhaps it’s a chance to experiment with that wacky fishing idea you have? Sinking stickbait to catch snapper? It’s all been done before maybe now is your turn to brag to your mates. I for one enjoy the thrill and the vast variety of ways to catch a species of fish, I’m always wanting to change things up and make it harder for myself and easier for the fish. This is what makes me wanting to go out fishing time and time again. In this report, I’ll be focussing solely on demersals and will list my top 3 “holy grail’s” of demersal fishing, a bucket list if you like and if you ever accomplish all three I will gladly shake your hand in awe and jealousy. Without further ado I’ll start this weeks fishing report.

Staff member Jeremey and crew with an epic brace of snapper

Metropolitan dhufish are plentiful in numbers mostly around the 30m+ mark however there are the odd few in sub 30m of water. The dhufish I’ve seen getting caught aren’t necessarily huge fish but it’s good to see the numbers are increasing for our future stocks. Pinkies are scattered everywhere across most rock walls and surrounding reefs. A good trail of burley is a necessity if you want to increase your catch rate. As with bait presentation, a free flowing and moving bait is a better option than a ‘mongrel’ bait hooked onto a set of hooks way too small/big for the desired species. With most demersal fishing, sounding around to find good lumps and drop offs is key as with a burley trail to increase your chances of catching fish.

Here are my top 3 fishing bucket lists for demersal fishing.
1) 15kg+ Western Australian dhufish
2) 100cm pink snapper
3) Catching a demersal species with an unorthodox method. i.e. sinking stickbait, fly fishing, topwater lure.”

They say as one door closes, another opens. This seems to be the case, with a shift in focus off the demersal fishing and firmly on CRAYS. With the opening of the season on the 15th it will be a mad dash to get your pots in and soaked for the expected bumper season. We carry a huge range of cray gear at all our stores from bait to full size craypots.

Customer Josh's big pinkie with some awesome features.