Canal Rocks 31 July 2016

Nothing to do in Busso yesterday with 7m swells and 30kn winds so decided to head to Canal Rocks to watch the carnage roll in and boy am I glad I did. There were waves breaking 1km off the rocks and covering them in foam when they hit with some mad bastards jumping off the bridge into the water as it rushed through.

I've been down there before in some severe conditions but was left gobbsmacked at what I saw mother nature throwing up yesterday!

Got back to me car and it was covered in about 1mm of salt!

youtu.be/Vl8wdBoRHcc

youtu.be/vvrKe3Zy3sU

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Date Joined: 13/12/12

This morning there were

Mon, 2016-08-01 19:35

This morning there were waves breaking in Warnbro Sound where I have never seen them break before - it was even breaking over the channel out from Bent St boat ramp - few boats still went out though.

davmor's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/11

Good onya for not crossing

Tue, 2016-08-02 05:19

Good onya for not crossing the danger tape. 

Mother nature can turn it on big time, especially considering the glassy conditions just days before.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

That was the second danger

Tue, 2016-08-02 08:36

That was the second danger tape 

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Bryce Day's picture

Date Joined: 01/06/15

Big swell! What's the go

Tue, 2016-08-02 05:51

Big swell! What's the go with the ramp are they going to fix it up? Or just have to use what's left!

hezzy's picture

Date Joined: 27/11/09

Id guess they will just fix

Tue, 2016-08-02 08:39

Id guess they will just fix it up as cheap as possible without really making any great improvements to it

I had meeting s with troy buswell about the ramp many years ago , and that was after it was ''redesigned & rebuilt'' by marine engineers supposedly to improve it lol

the ramp is dangerous and the jetty to high and too short ,
imo they need to build a rock wall extension of the left hand side before the bridge to take the swell of the base of the ramp and then one or two different launch ramp designs could be proposed

given the water flow from the bridge channel there would be enough water movement to flush out an inner lagoon behind a rock wall attached to that left hand side rocks , and the entire environment there is stone/rock so no erosion I would think to worry about along the coast

that would provide a relatively calm launch site on most days

currently it is tricky/dangerous in anything over 2 metres of swell

given the licence monies collected from rec fishing it is one ramp that should be targeted for allocation of these funds

hezzy

OFW 11

evil flourishes when good men do nothing

Bryce Day's picture

When the swells up its worse

Tue, 2016-08-02 20:16

When the swells up its worse than windy harbour. Ive chickened out a few times and gone around to old dunsborough a few times. 

hezzy's picture

had a nasty ride in at canal

Wed, 2016-08-03 08:24

had a nasty ride in at canal years ago ,

we did not have enough juice to go round the cape to dunsborough , so had no choice really but to surf in at the ramp as best we could and suffer the ensuing drama

dam glad I have a plate alli with self draining deck

hezzy

OFW 11

Willlo's picture

Date Joined: 07/10/11

lol hezzy remember the wade

Wed, 2016-08-03 10:18

lol hezzy remember the wade out to the boat after parking the car at 4 in the morning. Dark no torch just yr jocks with yr trackies wrapped round your head so they didn't get wet. Is there still a dirty great boulder just out from the base of ramp? 

Call Sign - BZ785

Haynes Hunter Prowler CC

hezzy's picture

yeh willo canal was our major

Wed, 2016-08-03 10:49

yeh willo canal was our major mooring point when I was a deckie back in late 80s

nothing like a holding the brooker full of gear and fuel at the base of the ramp , in cold s/s easterly slop/ swell just before daylight then row out to the boat in your jocks half wet

but I reckon the old ramp was better than this newer one , the finger jetty is useless and dangerous

hezzy

OFW 11

Bryce Day's picture

Agree, they are better off

Wed, 2016-08-03 12:07

Agree, they are better off knocking that jetty down and just having a ramp. Launch boat and pick up the last bloke around on the sand or he swims out!

Willlo's picture

Date Joined: 07/10/11

Lol Bryce spoken like a true

Thu, 2016-08-04 08:41

Lol Bryce spoken like a true skipper. (Swim ya mongrel its only water).

Call Sign - BZ785

Haynes Hunter Prowler CC

carnarvonite's picture

Date Joined: 24/07/07

Dumped on

Wed, 2016-08-03 12:38

Been dumped on quite a few times, you reckon you have timed it right to drive on to the trailer and suddenly find there is no water as the wave has sucked right back then comes in over the stern of the dinghy Nothing like the feel of heaps of fish bouncing off you as they float back out of the boat or swimming round trying to grab what you can before they disappear.

At Hamelin at least we had a key and could use the beach next to the ramp but the Canal ramp beach was usually non existant and didn't allow access most times when the swell was up

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

Foamy

Tue, 2016-08-02 20:05

One wave and theyre washed in, hate seeing people take unnecessary risks. Looks like some decent swell though.

Site Admin - Just ask if you need assistance

Dale's picture

Date Joined: 13/09/05

Wed, 2016-08-03 18:19

I would never launch from canal rocks unless someone was with me. The trickiest place I've launched from. When there is a swell running, the current can come from 3 different directions at once. Scary shit.

"Just because you are a Character, Doesn't mean you have Character."

Mr Wolf

harro's picture

Date Joined: 07/02/08

good ol days

Mon, 2016-08-08 17:39

oh yeah, ive had a few crazy times at canals, seen a few accidents there too when the swells roll in , experienced crews only there for sure 

:::: Bass Hunter ::::