Fuel Data Manager NMEA 2000 Help

Hi all any Fishwreckers had any experience with fuel data managers 

I'm looking at the Lowrance model that will just plug into existing NMEA 2000 system 

Any comments good or bad 

Cheers 

Date Joined: 10/06/09

just note you will need a

Tue, 2017-02-21 08:14

just note you will need a ep85r i did this a few years back with honda and hds 10 was a nightmare no one knew what or how to get iot working

but once done it was awsome knowing exactly how many litres left and fuel used made planning trips more confidend

getting the bottom line final answer from a bunch of blokes that use false names and put smiley faces at the end of paragraphs is not the best place in the world to get the information you seek.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

Hey mate. I have just

Tue, 2017-02-21 11:39

Hey mate. I have just installed a fuel flow sensor connected to a HDS7 and was told by Lowrance that I need to connect the EP-85R but I connected it all up before the install and tested it by blowing through it and it counts down as if petrol is being used. When I turn off the unit and back on again it still shows the same figure for fuel used as when I turned it off which is all I was after i.e. knowing how much fuel I’ve used and how much is left and am not interested in seasonal usage etc.

Could you provide some more info on the issues you had with the HDS10 that required the EP-85R so I know what to look for as I don't plan on forking out the extra $ for the manager just yet.

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Broady's picture

Date Joined: 16/01/13

Word of advice

Tue, 2017-02-21 12:53

Make sure you have a backup system.

Over the Christmas period I had some fuel knocked off and where I thought I had 90 odd litres left, halfway across the Sound it turned out to be zero.  I have since established a secondary alarm linked to the tank level sensor that sets off alarms at 50% and 25% capacity.  Outside that there is no visual way I can determine levels - no inspection caps and you can't see through the filler.

Made for that embarrasing call to sea rescue that I swore I would never make.

Otherwise the Lowrance system works exceptionally well.

Jackfrost80's picture

Date Joined: 07/05/12

WANKERS!!

Tue, 2017-02-21 13:30

WANKERS!!

Officially off the Pies bandwagon

Date Joined: 30/12/08

thanks all

Tue, 2017-02-21 13:55

Yes the EP85R is the unit Im looking at .
What I do have already plugged into the system is an EP-65R Fluid Level sensor that is connected to the anologue fuel guage , I take it this remains in play ?

Date Joined: 10/06/09

The issues i had No one knew

Tue, 2017-02-21 13:57

The issues i had 

No one knew what cable i needed (interface cable )

It then wouldn't work without the ep85r

Just all inn all no online info available  at all 

No company in australia  knew what i needed 

Cs smith guy took a week to get all info from supplier 

Was a painful experience 

Was 5 years ago so things have changed i guess 

getting the bottom line final answer from a bunch of blokes that use false names and put smiley faces at the end of paragraphs is not the best place in the world to get the information you seek.