Fuel use, new 100hp yammy 4 stroke

I am just upgrading the engine on my 670UB Banana Boat to a fuel injected 100hp 4 stroke, from a 90 yam 2 stroke.

The dealers say I will get 30 to 50% savings on the fuel by comparisson.

My mate shomby has the same boat and engine only his is a carby model, his rule of thumb with the fuel is when doing 20 knots its 20 litres per hour, 30 knots 30 litres per hour. Will there be much difference with the fuel injection to the carby model?

Has anyone got the same set up? what prop size are you runnning, Chivers marine say the standard prop works well, an opinion from another owner would be good.

The model I am gettingfitted is 06 it has not got the nema 2000 so cannot hook it up the my HDS 7 so am fitting a Lowrance fuel flow sesor and memory modual, Luke chivers has set up boats with this system before so I will be able to program tank size, and get all the data up on the screen, how much I am using, how much fuel is left in tank etc, great for monebello abrollos murian trips. With the old 2 smoke long trips were scary.

The stainless fuel tank that came with the boat cracked once, this has now been welded up and is sound. although for piece of mind was wondering if fibre glassing around suspect seams in the tank would be sufficient reinforcing. the last thig i want on one of the above trips is the tank splitting on me - fire, tow back to port, death, come to mind, haha.

all opinions and comments appreciated

thanks

Justin poole

By Hook or Spear, its all good..

Rod P's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/08

I would have said setup

Thu, 2010-07-15 11:56

I would have said setup correctly light ship to average trimed right and good condition you would have only used about 15 leters per hour. Really possibly even less. That is given my experances and that would have been carby versions, prio to the EFI model. You will love it.

The height needs to be set right and often a wedge was even used to sort trim but best is to move console over center hatch, forward fuel tank and a few holes up at least.

I would also throw hydraulic at it if you havn't already.

Kingfisher549's picture

Date Joined: 15/09/09

Fuel Flow

Thu, 2010-07-15 23:20

Have a fuel flow system in my boat and live by the readings. If it has said I have used 50ltres when I go and refill that is all the tank will take, great investment.

Baron Sportsman Custom

Justin Poole's picture

Date Joined: 24/08/08

Cheers

Sat, 2010-07-17 12:42

thanks for your words of wisdom rob, you have invaluble in helping me set up this boat, after I modified the transome 50mm and moved the console forward over the middle hatch it wents so much better. now the 100 Icing on the cake. I have not bothered to put a bimini or t top on it as it will just get in the way, I like the open boat, all usable space system..

Rod P's picture

Date Joined: 20/05/08

You will love it with the

Mon, 2010-07-19 11:06

You will love it with the forustroke.  But you need to learn to trim it well. You'll half your consumption if you get it right.

Justin Poole's picture

Date Joined: 24/08/08

Wicked Rod! Cheers mate...

Mon, 2010-07-19 18:54

Wicked Rod! Cheers mate...

wide open's picture

Date Joined: 24/12/09

will save a lot of fuel

Mon, 2010-07-19 20:42

on my grandads boat we upgraged from a 30 carbyrated 2 stroke to a 60 4stroke EFI

fuel saving are amazing with the 60 using about the same amount or even a bit less cruising, while going almost 2wice as fast at full speed

i think the 100 4 will maybe half the fuel consumption in your case