Furuno FCV-600l

Hey guys,

Is anyone able to give me a few pointer on settings for a Furuno FCV-600l?

The settings hadn't been changed since we got the boat and didnt really show anything besides the bottom due to the noise limiter and clutter being set to maximum.

Ive had a play around with it and bottom recognition is certianly better but still having trouble picking up a signal from fish anywhere in the water column on spots where we are catching and know there are fish (dhus and pinks).

We generally dont fish more than 50m and is set on 200kHz. I have the sounder book by John Adams which is excellent for reading a sounder but it would just help if i had something to read!

Cheers

Date Joined: 18/01/12

try

Mon, 2015-01-19 16:11

try this

http://www.teamcruisecraft.com.au/images/TUNING%20SOUNDERS.pdf

Give a man a mask, and he'll show you his true face...

The older you get the more you realize that no one has a f++king clue what they're doing.

Everyone's just winging it.

MattMiller's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/09

Same

Mon, 2015-01-19 18:43

i have the same sounder on my tub and have similar issues getting shows of fish.

Always get great readings of the bottom (ledges, drop off etc.) but always struggle to see demersals, generally pickup mid water fish like Sambos though.

Must admit I'm not really sure why this is?

Date Joined: 27/12/06

Transducer

Mon, 2015-01-19 18:50

Would be interesting to see what transducers you guys are running, sounds like you are missing some sensitivity.

can you see schools of pinkies when they extend off the bottom Matt?

MattMiller's picture

Date Joined: 15/06/09

Honestly

Mon, 2015-01-19 19:27

havn't been chasing Pinks much in this tub. Mainly 40-60m chasing Dhuies.

I do pick up good detail of the bottom (changes of hardness, corals, lumps/caves etc.) just struggle to see fishing holding near the bottom.

I often do 2 boat trips with a mate whos running a Raymarine Dragonfly.

Some days when we both sound around the same areas he'll pickup fish 1-2m off the bottom while i'll only see changes in bottom hardness.

The only time I consistently see fish is when i'm on grounds I know that hold schools of Skippy and Sambos.

I'm running an Airmar P66 transom mount

Date Joined: 08/08/11

I am reading John Adams book

Mon, 2015-01-19 19:58

I am reading John Adams book atm and a point he makes is that while the sounder may show very good bottom structure ie dense thick echo with long tails present, that type of ground also provides ideal structure for the target species to use for cover therefore whilst you see the structure you don't always see the fish echos.

Fish! HARD!

GGs's picture

Date Joined: 06/09/14

Sounds like the exact same

Mon, 2015-01-19 19:59

Sounds like the exact same issue Matt because I now get really clean bottom readings aswell.

I haven't been out  chasing sambos with this sounder before so not really sure.

I think we run an Airmax 66 transducer aswell I'm fairly sure it's the standard tranny for the fcv-600l.

Was hoping to get it nicely tuned in before we head to exy in April so will play around with it some more.

Cheere for the help guys