The Lady Joyce 26/3/09

Headed out of C’von with quite a surreal sunrise in rather sloppy conditions and got completely soaked just after 6:00am.  We didn’t mind taking a bit of time to thaw out and get the anchor right as we arrived at our destination because conditions were not ideal but the forecast was for better weather as the day went on.  Second drop for Dave and he came up with a decent Mullaway of about 8kg before we even had our lines in the water!  Talk about a good start to the day.  Had my bait jig demolished by small Snapper instead of the slimy’s I was after but was fun on 8lb gear.  The result of this was 5 bent hooks with 1 snapped clean in half!  Conditions started to improve very quickly and so did the fish with a couple of 70cm+ snaps coming aboard as well as the usual smaller ones and a few other species.  A few rigs started coming up without hooks so flicked around a few metals which ended up becoming lip jewelry for a few small suspected macks, eventually landed one of about 80cm which made for great bait.  Was throwing around a small Halco Roosta when what looked like a huge GT come up and had a swipe at it about 10m from the boat, just as well I didn’t hook this thing as it was only on the 2-4kg setup!  Strait out came the bigger gear and a R2S Dumbell which I used for the first time, after about 10 or so casts I hooked up to a good mack and after a few quick bursts and a couple of laps of the boat it was onboard, my first spaniard on popper!  Can’t wait to seriously pop for some big GT’s and other popper lovers because that was awesome!  Coxy was on soon after and boated the biggest Golden Trevally I’ve ever seen, estimated at 15kg which was released after a few quick pics.  He was on again within 10 mins and after what seemed like forever a bronzie of about 10ft surfaced just before biting through the trace, saved us having to deal with it anyway, caught on a strip of fresh mack.  Anyway it went quiet after that and a quick troll on the way produced only one missed strike so hit 35 knots for a quick trip back to the ramp.  Quite a good day really with a good feed to enjoy in the coming weeks.

Damo

wopjrb's picture

Date Joined: 05/03/09

sounds like a good trip mate well done

Tue, 2009-04-28 04:30

struth, better get a beer then

WODF's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Just recieved the SD cards back from a mate.

Thu, 2009-04-30 13:58

Just need to put em on the comp and resize, should have em up by tonight.

"holy sh!t, did you see that?"

WODF's picture

Date Joined: 16/10/08

Finally!

Fri, 2009-05-01 19:32

Pics are up.

"holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Adam Gallash's picture

Date Joined: 29/11/05

top pics

Mon, 2009-05-04 00:10

Top pics Damo, excellent mate.