Sunday 30/11

Started the day just before 6 am at maylands.  pick up dan the deckie at point walter and headed out the harbour and around the corner of south mole.  Dan hooked one squid but dropped it.  started heading to the south of rotto and as we were going past the stragglers saw a bird dive in front of us.  out went the lures but to no avail.  water temp about 20.9, so still not there yet.

passed over a bait ball and thought I would throw a jig at it.  not that far past stragglers and not as far as FFB.  Dan thought he'd check the bottom out and pulled up a nice plump sand whiting.  so in came the jig and out went the whiting gear.  we both pulled in a few and some real good size.  I got a couple of double headers in there as well.  putted down to a wreck in 18m outside stragglers.  There were about 6 pits on it and the sounder lit up with bait as we went over it.  Had a visit from FW member Rick (poser?) who came to say hello.   didn't do any good despite a bit of interest on the jig, no hook ups.  ducked inside to scott ledge.  Dan pulled up a nice 38cm KGW.  still couldn't find the squid.

finished off with a quick troll in the river and all we caught was a sailing dinghy who was overtaking us and didn't realise the lures were out.  I think he got a bigger shock.  anyway didn't lose the lure. bonus.

wonderful day on the water. The weather gods were kind.

Fish! HARD!

Image Upload: 

Rosie's picture

Date Joined: 13/01/13

Hey Randall.

Sun, 2014-11-30 19:33

Rick isn't poser... poser is Sam. 

We kept an eye out for you, but knew you planned to fish south of rotto.We hit Hillarys ramp at 3:30am and headed to a lump north of Rotto in about 20m. Burleyed up on anchor hoping for some sambo or kingy action. No such luck, but Sam did nail a striped tuna. After that headed out to deeper water in search of sambos. Managed one off a lump in the middle of nowhere in 45m. It was so dark it was almost black in colour. Awesome fun on the light gear.

As you said, water temp is not far off. I'm sure poser and I will come across you trolling Rotto when it fires up. 

Seek & Deploy

m.jamo's picture

Date Joined: 15/04/14

saturday trolling

Sun, 2014-11-30 20:09

we went out around north rotto saturday morning with the weather not the most pleasent and went through a huge school of stripped tuna had the out riggers out with skirts and hard bodies in the wash all three hard bodies got smashed with striped tuna at the same time was chaos. turned around and went back over the spot and all of them got smashed again. from there we went out around west end and got nuff all. spewin couldnt get out sunday as the weather looked much better. looks like with the water getting warmer they are starting to turn up could of went over that same spot and pulled them up all day. one of the best days out in a while as we cleaned up with the cray pots as well. 

Take a fish boating.